Oct 7, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
Washington’s new owner Ted Leonsis promised changes. He asked fans what needed to change around the Wizards and the Verizon Center where they play.
He got a box full of suggestions, and on Wednesday he posted a list of 101 things he has done to improve the team at the request of fans (via the Washington Post).
More open training camp moved closer to Washington D.C.? Check. Colder beer? Check. Wi-Fi in the building? Check. Reconnect with Gilbert Arenas? Check (well as much as anyone can check it).
Change the team’s name back to Bullets? That’s “under consideration.”
Interesting. Not likely, but interesting.
Under consideration is a pretty noncommittal phrase. Leonsis said that a change of team colors was “in development” (look for red, white and blue soon). But with that color change would he really change the name back to Bullets?
“Bullets” has some historic value, but was changed by Abe Polin because of the gun violence seen in D.C. and the nation. He though the perception was wrong. (Which makes the Gilbert Arenas situation from last year a little sadder.)
With that as the backdrop, it’s hard to imagine a change back to Bullets. Leonsis said it is under consideration, but he also said that drafting more local players was under consideration. It’s not really — it’s only under consideration when the area turns out an NBA caliber player that falls in the right spot in the draft.
And you can expect the name change isn’t getting that much consideration. But it’s out there.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18