Oct 7, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Washington’s new owner Ted Leonsis promised changes. He asked fans what needed to change around the Wizards and the Verizon Center where they play.
He got a box full of suggestions, and on Wednesday he posted a list of 101 things he has done to improve the team at the request of fans (via the Washington Post).
More open training camp moved closer to Washington D.C.? Check. Colder beer? Check. Wi-Fi in the building? Check. Reconnect with Gilbert Arenas? Check (well as much as anyone can check it).
Change the team’s name back to Bullets? That’s “under consideration.”
Interesting. Not likely, but interesting.
Under consideration is a pretty noncommittal phrase. Leonsis said that a change of team colors was “in development” (look for red, white and blue soon). But with that color change would he really change the name back to Bullets?
“Bullets” has some historic value, but was changed by Abe Polin because of the gun violence seen in D.C. and the nation. He though the perception was wrong. (Which makes the Gilbert Arenas situation from last year a little sadder.)
With that as the backdrop, it’s hard to imagine a change back to Bullets. Leonsis said it is under consideration, but he also said that drafting more local players was under consideration. It’s not really — it’s only under consideration when the area turns out an NBA caliber player that falls in the right spot in the draft.
And you can expect the name change isn’t getting that much consideration. But it’s out there.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 48