Oct 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
For the last week, Anderson Varejao was back in his native Brazil after the death of his grandfather, but Thursday he returned to Cleveland and the Cavaliers.
Byron Scott told the Akron Beacon Journal that he was not just going to throw Varejao out there upon his return.
“He looked great and it was good to see him,” Scott said. “Obviously we’re going to bring him along slowly and get him up to speed conditioning-wise and what we’re doing on both ends of the floor….
“I want him to be right,” Scott said. “The worst thing we could do right now is try to bring him back too soon. When you’re not in the type of condition you need to be in, that’s when a lot of guys get hurt.”
That means Varejao will not play in the Cavaliers preseason game Thursday night against the Wizards. He may miss upcoming games as well.
Part of that has to do with the sprained ankle Varejao suffered before his trip to Brazil. That slowed his conditioning, so now he is a few steps behind the training camp curve.
On a separate note, Antawn Jamison is also sitting out Thursday night’s Cavaliers game. Scott said that was because he wanted to get a longer look at some younger players, not because of any injuries or issues with Jamison.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40