Oct 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
For the last week, Anderson Varejao was back in his native Brazil after the death of his grandfather, but Thursday he returned to Cleveland and the Cavaliers.
Byron Scott told the Akron Beacon Journal that he was not just going to throw Varejao out there upon his return.
“He looked great and it was good to see him,” Scott said. “Obviously we’re going to bring him along slowly and get him up to speed conditioning-wise and what we’re doing on both ends of the floor….
“I want him to be right,” Scott said. “The worst thing we could do right now is try to bring him back too soon. When you’re not in the type of condition you need to be in, that’s when a lot of guys get hurt.”
That means Varejao will not play in the Cavaliers preseason game Thursday night against the Wizards. He may miss upcoming games as well.
Part of that has to do with the sprained ankle Varejao suffered before his trip to Brazil. That slowed his conditioning, so now he is a few steps behind the training camp curve.
On a separate note, Antawn Jamison is also sitting out Thursday night’s Cavaliers game. Scott said that was because he wanted to get a longer look at some younger players, not because of any injuries or issues with Jamison.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13