Oct 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
For the last week, Anderson Varejao was back in his native Brazil after the death of his grandfather, but Thursday he returned to Cleveland and the Cavaliers.
Byron Scott told the Akron Beacon Journal that he was not just going to throw Varejao out there upon his return.
“He looked great and it was good to see him,” Scott said. “Obviously we’re going to bring him along slowly and get him up to speed conditioning-wise and what we’re doing on both ends of the floor….
“I want him to be right,” Scott said. “The worst thing we could do right now is try to bring him back too soon. When you’re not in the type of condition you need to be in, that’s when a lot of guys get hurt.”
That means Varejao will not play in the Cavaliers preseason game Thursday night against the Wizards. He may miss upcoming games as well.
Part of that has to do with the sprained ankle Varejao suffered before his trip to Brazil. That slowed his conditioning, so now he is a few steps behind the training camp curve.
On a separate note, Antawn Jamison is also sitting out Thursday night’s Cavaliers game. Scott said that was because he wanted to get a longer look at some younger players, not because of any injuries or issues with Jamison.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70