Oct 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
For the last week, Anderson Varejao was back in his native Brazil after the death of his grandfather, but Thursday he returned to Cleveland and the Cavaliers.
Byron Scott told the Akron Beacon Journal that he was not just going to throw Varejao out there upon his return.
“He looked great and it was good to see him,” Scott said. “Obviously we’re going to bring him along slowly and get him up to speed conditioning-wise and what we’re doing on both ends of the floor….
“I want him to be right,” Scott said. “The worst thing we could do right now is try to bring him back too soon. When you’re not in the type of condition you need to be in, that’s when a lot of guys get hurt.”
That means Varejao will not play in the Cavaliers preseason game Thursday night against the Wizards. He may miss upcoming games as well.
Part of that has to do with the sprained ankle Varejao suffered before his trip to Brazil. That slowed his conditioning, so now he is a few steps behind the training camp curve.
On a separate note, Antawn Jamison is also sitting out Thursday night’s Cavaliers game. Scott said that was because he wanted to get a longer look at some younger players, not because of any injuries or issues with Jamison.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 6
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 9
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 15
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement