Oct 6, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
Gilbert Arenas looked pretty good in his first game back considering he was suspended most of last season and missed part of training camp with a sprained ankle. He finished with 12 points on 5 of 9 shooting .
But the happy-go-lucky, passionate Gilbert Arenas was nowhere to be seen Wednesday, apparently disappearing after being dragged through the mud and courtroom for bringing a loaded locker to the Wizards locker room. (A self-inflicted wound, for sure.) He explained his mood to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“I lost all feeling a long time ago. Basketball is basketball. It doesn’t matter what floor I’m on.”
Arenas got hugs from old teammates now with the Mavericks. Still nothing inside.
“My job is to not to make friends,” Arenas said of that. “My job is to help this team. Saying hello to my old teammates is not part of the job.”
He even sounded resigned to moving on (although that is unlikely soon, unless he proves he can really really ball again because his contract is massive). In the short term, he understands where his bread is buttered.
“Teach John (Wall) the ins and outs of the game and then eventually go on and move on, and I’m on my way,” Arenas …
“I mean, this is the NBA,” said Arenas, speaking for eight minutes after the game and for the first time since barely talking to reporters for three minutes at the team’s Sept. 27 media day. “There’s few players that stay in the same city. Right now, the city is John’s. I’m not here to fight anybody. I’m here to just play alongside him. He’s Batman and I’m Robin. When I came (to Washington in the summer of 2003), Larry (Hughes) moved aside for me to become a star and I’m moving aside so he can become a star.”
It’s all business and no joy for Arenas. Which makes any job harder, let alone one that at its core is a child’s game. Hopefully the thrill comes back. We miss Agent 0.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36