Oct 6, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Gilbert Arenas looked pretty good in his first game back considering he was suspended most of last season and missed part of training camp with a sprained ankle. He finished with 12 points on 5 of 9 shooting .
But the happy-go-lucky, passionate Gilbert Arenas was nowhere to be seen Wednesday, apparently disappearing after being dragged through the mud and courtroom for bringing a loaded locker to the Wizards locker room. (A self-inflicted wound, for sure.) He explained his mood to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“I lost all feeling a long time ago. Basketball is basketball. It doesn’t matter what floor I’m on.”
Arenas got hugs from old teammates now with the Mavericks. Still nothing inside.
“My job is to not to make friends,” Arenas said of that. “My job is to help this team. Saying hello to my old teammates is not part of the job.”
He even sounded resigned to moving on (although that is unlikely soon, unless he proves he can really really ball again because his contract is massive). In the short term, he understands where his bread is buttered.
“Teach John (Wall) the ins and outs of the game and then eventually go on and move on, and I’m on my way,” Arenas …
“I mean, this is the NBA,” said Arenas, speaking for eight minutes after the game and for the first time since barely talking to reporters for three minutes at the team’s Sept. 27 media day. “There’s few players that stay in the same city. Right now, the city is John’s. I’m not here to fight anybody. I’m here to just play alongside him. He’s Batman and I’m Robin. When I came (to Washington in the summer of 2003), Larry (Hughes) moved aside for me to become a star and I’m moving aside so he can become a star.”
It’s all business and no joy for Arenas. Which makes any job harder, let alone one that at its core is a child’s game. Hopefully the thrill comes back. We miss Agent 0.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 5
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 18
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 52
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 24
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65