Oct 6, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Gilbert Arenas looked pretty good in his first game back considering he was suspended most of last season and missed part of training camp with a sprained ankle. He finished with 12 points on 5 of 9 shooting .
But the happy-go-lucky, passionate Gilbert Arenas was nowhere to be seen Wednesday, apparently disappearing after being dragged through the mud and courtroom for bringing a loaded locker to the Wizards locker room. (A self-inflicted wound, for sure.) He explained his mood to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“I lost all feeling a long time ago. Basketball is basketball. It doesn’t matter what floor I’m on.”
Arenas got hugs from old teammates now with the Mavericks. Still nothing inside.
“My job is to not to make friends,” Arenas said of that. “My job is to help this team. Saying hello to my old teammates is not part of the job.”
He even sounded resigned to moving on (although that is unlikely soon, unless he proves he can really really ball again because his contract is massive). In the short term, he understands where his bread is buttered.
“Teach John (Wall) the ins and outs of the game and then eventually go on and move on, and I’m on my way,” Arenas …
“I mean, this is the NBA,” said Arenas, speaking for eight minutes after the game and for the first time since barely talking to reporters for three minutes at the team’s Sept. 27 media day. “There’s few players that stay in the same city. Right now, the city is John’s. I’m not here to fight anybody. I’m here to just play alongside him. He’s Batman and I’m Robin. When I came (to Washington in the summer of 2003), Larry (Hughes) moved aside for me to become a star and I’m moving aside so he can become a star.”
It’s all business and no joy for Arenas. Which makes any job harder, let alone one that at its core is a child’s game. Hopefully the thrill comes back. We miss Agent 0.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 23
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30