Oct 6, 2010, 5:37 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:37 pm: Just a bad outcome for White — he needs to have surgery to repair his broken foot and will go under the knife on Friday, according to the official Detroit Piston twitter account.
How long he will be out will be determined after the surgery. However the basic rule of “foot surgery is never good news for basketball players” applies here. Hopefully it is not that serious and as a young buck he can bounce back.
8:26 am: In the second half of the Pistons first preseason game, Pistons rookie Terrico White broke his foot and now will be out through the rest of camp and into the season.
The injury happened in the second half but wasn’t really diagnosed until the Pistons were back in their locker room, where suddenly Pistons staff was carrying White around.
White, drafted last June in the second round out of Ole Miss, is a bit of a project for Detroit. He may well be the best athlete in the draft but he was very raw. During Summer League we saw a player who showed flashes of that athletic ability but for the most part seemed to be thinking more than just reacting. The Pistons signed him to a two-year deal to see if he could harness those physical gifts.
This, obviously, is a bit of a setback. Camp was where guys like White can get focus from the coaches. During the season there is little time for practice with one-on-one instruction.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20