Tracy McGrady "jealous" of Miami's big three. He's at the head of a long line there.

Oct 5, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT

McGrady_pistons.jpgTracy McGrady was honest.

Plenty of NBA players have said LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh had the right to do what they did in Miami, that they wish them well, but McGrady told Tim Povtak of FanHouse what is really on the minds of 90 percent of the players in the NBA.

“I am envious (of Miami’s Big Three). I’m jealous as s**t,” McGrady chuckled Tuesday morning before a Pistons workout. “I look at all the teams I’ve been on, and I never had a Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh on the same team. I’m jealous, but I’m happy for them. I hope they win 10 damn championships.”

McGrady was on some teams that were good — Orlando (with Grant Hill before his injury and where Tim Duncan almost came as a free agent), the what-might-have-been with Yao in Houston. But never anything like Miami.

NBA players want to get paid, first and foremost. This is still a business and they have a limited window to set themselves — and maybe generations — up for life.

But after that, it’s still a game. They want to win and have fun. Miami right now holds the promise of both of those — fun guys winning a lot. It could be basketball Nirvana.

It may not be. And there are always prices to be paid. But you can bet that by February in Memphis and Minnesota and Sacramento there will be players jealous as s**t of the Miami Heat.

1. Barry - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

T’MAC is the man!I love you men. This is from an NBA player who has senn it all in his career. He is been up and he’s been down with injuries- but he knows what he is talking about. He has a global mindset because he’s travelled the world doing great things for charity especially in Africa. At least he is honest and says what’s on his mind about the MIAMI HEAT as constituted.
    Then compare this with Charles Barkley’s take with the Heat? Who is right and who seems honest? This is coming from two NBA stars.

2. Barry - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Kurt- I like it when you said This is still a business and they have a limited window to set themselves — and maybe generations — up for life.
    Talking about the limited window of opportunity to win an NBA title- mark your calender by JUNE 2011 the two NBA teams meeting for the Final will definetly be one of the repeat offenders- Miami, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics and maybe by a stretch of imagination Chicago Bulls. You’re not gonna see Orlando, Cleveland,LA Clippers or Sacramento Kings(Chris WEBER)in the Championship games anytime soon.
    The same teams from the same cities have a monopoly in the NBA. The last time Washington Bullets or 76ers was in the 1978s or 1979?
    Miami got their first NBA title in 2006 after 18 years of futility. I don’t see Orlando winning any time soon after SHAQ and PENNY tried in vain and gave up trying.
    So any move by an NBA star has to be well-calculated move laden with great RISKS.
    LBJ+DWADE+CBOSH got it right the first time with the LUXURY of SIX year WINDOW of Opportunity to get it done, and YES they Will!! It is a question of when can they bring the Championship home to South BEACH. There is no URGENCY to do it NOW or Never, but they just want to get it started right away!!!
    If and When they do it,hopefully Charles Barkley will be Happy for them for a change.

3. Bill-Sonora - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I agree. They WILL eventually win.
    BUT…
    After Kobe retires.

4. Anonymous - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM

ha i like the way he sees himself as lebron, f*ck lebron

5. TMAC! - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I am sorry but u lsot credibility when u sed tmac was on soem good teams. His magic teams sucked more ass then Lebron or Kobes La lakers or cavs teams when they were terrible. When he was with the rockets, he had yao and juwan howard and noone else. By the time the rockets were good he wa sinjured and on the bench when they past the first round. Terrible article opening with lies.

6. Andrew - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Sooo if T-Mac stayed in Toronto with Vince Carter wouldn’t that have made a killer duo? wouldn’t that have been two all-stars in their prime playing on the same team? what the hell is he so jealous of if he could of had that?

7. Travis - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM

T-Mac had all the tools and skills to be a great player. I think he had just as much talent as the great one (KOBE). He never worked hard enough and never took it serious enough. He say he hopes Miame win 10 championships? So, that means he will never win one in h is career. So, why even continue playing. He hopes a team that he is not on win multiple chapionships. I will not call him an idiot.

8. Mojib72 - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Good one Travis. If T-macthinks that Miame will win 10 plus championship, why he will even dare suiting up and wearing a bull jersey. The bulls needs to revoke his contract immediately.Is this the kind of team mate Boozer and the rest of the bulls need. Quiting before the season starts. I had respect for T-mac game but after this statement, he can retire at this moment.

9. Lion Woods - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Dear TMac: Lebron called… he wants his jock back

10. Lion Woods - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Guaranteed from TMac this season: Out 42 games because of alleged back spasms. Most overrated player? Top 10 yep.

11. Lion Woods - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I agree although T Mac plays for the going nowhere Pistons. I am not sure what the Pistons saw in him.

12. Fresno - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I never care for TMac but this comment that he made about the heat
    winning 10 championships is really stupidddddd. Thank You for calling your self a looser before season starts, now you can retire as nothing. I hope KOBE wins 10 championships.

13. Kara M - Oct 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM

TMac is a loser and a quitter, on his teammates and the teams he has played for. He is doing nothing more today than sucking a paycheck out of an also ran team, that’s the best he can do.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview