Oct 5, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady was honest.
Plenty of NBA players have said LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh had the right to do what they did in Miami, that they wish them well, but McGrady told Tim Povtak of FanHouse what is really on the minds of 90 percent of the players in the NBA.
“I am envious (of Miami’s Big Three). I’m jealous as s**t,” McGrady chuckled Tuesday morning before a Pistons workout. “I look at all the teams I’ve been on, and I never had a Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh on the same team. I’m jealous, but I’m happy for them. I hope they win 10 damn championships.”
McGrady was on some teams that were good — Orlando (with Grant Hill before his injury and where Tim Duncan almost came as a free agent), the what-might-have-been with Yao in Houston. But never anything like Miami.
NBA players want to get paid, first and foremost. This is still a business and they have a limited window to set themselves — and maybe generations — up for life.
But after that, it’s still a game. They want to win and have fun. Miami right now holds the promise of both of those — fun guys winning a lot. It could be basketball Nirvana.
It may not be. And there are always prices to be paid. But you can bet that by February in Memphis and Minnesota and Sacramento there will be players jealous as s**t of the Miami Heat.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'