Oct 5, 2010, 10:42 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:42 pm: Wade spoke to the media after the game and confirmed it is a pulled hamstring. He is going to rest and get treatment and be re-evaluated in a week. It likely will be a couple of weeks before Wade is running at full speed again and put back in any games.
Wade said that after the weeks of running in camp his hamstring was a little sore but he didn’t think much of it. This is his first hamstring injury.
“Right now I’m just a little sore, I was chasing Rip off a screen and I just felt it pull, I knew it was a pulled hamstring,” Wade said.
He added he knows about recovery from minor injuries, something he has had plenty of throughout his career.
“I’m not a stranger to minor setbacks, I’m a professional.”
8: 13 pm: We’re going to have to wait a while to see LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together for more than a couple minutes.
Dwyane Wade was taken out of the Heat’s first preseason game with a strained hamstring. He will not return to this game. How long he will be out remains unclear, although this certainly did not look serious.
The injury came just 3:17 into the first quarter as Wade was chasing Detroit’s Rip Hamilton around a pick and just seemed to tweak his hamstring, pulling up and quickly waving to the bench that he needed to come out.
Not long later he went to the locker room with a pronounced limp.
Hamstring injuries in preseason are not uncommon. However, they can keep players on the sideline for a while as they can be a slow to heal. Rushing back can lead to setbacks and make it a lingering issue.
Wade, with his body-abusing, crashing-toward-the-rim style of play, has often had a number of small injuries over the course of the season. This is not something uncommon for him.
The Heat’s next preseason game is Friday night in Kansas City against Oklahoma City.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29