Oct 4, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
One week in, Hamed Haddadi is still not at Memphis Grizzlies training camp.
He is having legal issues getting out of his native Iran and into the United States, according to the Commercial Appeal (via Ben Maller). Which really should not be a surprise considering the relations between the two countries.
The only public word from Haddadi came in tweet on Sunday saying:
another fresh start for my life…. yek zendegie jadid. I’m so happy!
Haddadi had to push back his basketball camp in Los Angeles (now October 23 and 24). The third-year center is simply missing camp right now but could start missing paychecks if this legal issue drags out into the season.
Haddadi is a reserve 7’2″ center for the Grizzlies, who played in 36 games for the team last season. He is slated to make $1.6 million this season. He is the first Iranian born player in the NBA and he was Iran’s star player at the FIBA World Championships this summer.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'