Oct 3, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
We watched Lance Stephenson at Summer League and thought in an intriguing player. A guy who might be able to find a niche in Indiana and help right away.
Then he got arrested for domestic violence, and the Pacers told him to stop working out at Conseco Fieldhouse. You knew he’d be back, the Pacers had already inked him to a contract, but the question was when and how would he be received.
He has been back, part of the Pacers training camp, keeping his head down and working hard. Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star reports this conversation with him.
…when Lance Stephenson walked by me on his way off the court Saturday and I casually asked how things are going for him.
“I’ve got to get better defensively,” he said right away. “I’m having a difficult time with off-the-ball defending.”
I was expecting him to say something like, “It’s going good. I’m glad to have a day off tomorrow.” Nope. He wanted to talk about his defense.
That is defense that has to get better if he really wants to see the court much. He’ll still have to deal with his legal issues, but he is back and working at Pacers camp. It will be interesting to see how and how much they use him.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9