Oct 3, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas is like the escaped mental patient at the cocktail party. Everyone’s got their eye on him, even if he’s just going to get more cocktail wieners from the buffet. That’s just how it’s going to be for a while. Those who aren’t worried about his injuries are afraid he’ll do something negligent and stupid again, those who aren’t worried about his maturity are concerned he’ll get hurt doing something routine.
And it’s that latter crew that has to be raising its eyebrows right now. There’s no mumble attached to the eyebrow raise, just enough for them to look up briefly from their Sunday paper. Friday, Gilbert Arenas didn’t practice, due to “soreness” in his leg. But no big deal, he scrimmaged late Friday. Then Saturday, he was back on the bench during the scrimmage with an ankle “tweak.”
Two minor injuries, nothing to worry about, unless you’re watching Gilbert Arenas whose recoveries from knee injuries would turn from days into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. Excellent Wizards blog Bullets Forever glimpsed over it, and in reality, that’s probably what we should do. If this was anyone else, we’d consider everything normal. Your basic preseason tweak. But with Arenas, the smallest things can blow up into huge issues. On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a two, with “he brought weapons to the locker room and jokes about it” being a 10.
He’ll likely be back in practice tomorrow, no biggie. Consider this simply a very small cloud on the horizon of a very nice day.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 0
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 41
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 67
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8