Oct 3, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas is like the escaped mental patient at the cocktail party. Everyone’s got their eye on him, even if he’s just going to get more cocktail wieners from the buffet. That’s just how it’s going to be for a while. Those who aren’t worried about his injuries are afraid he’ll do something negligent and stupid again, those who aren’t worried about his maturity are concerned he’ll get hurt doing something routine.
And it’s that latter crew that has to be raising its eyebrows right now. There’s no mumble attached to the eyebrow raise, just enough for them to look up briefly from their Sunday paper. Friday, Gilbert Arenas didn’t practice, due to “soreness” in his leg. But no big deal, he scrimmaged late Friday. Then Saturday, he was back on the bench during the scrimmage with an ankle “tweak.”
Two minor injuries, nothing to worry about, unless you’re watching Gilbert Arenas whose recoveries from knee injuries would turn from days into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. Excellent Wizards blog Bullets Forever glimpsed over it, and in reality, that’s probably what we should do. If this was anyone else, we’d consider everything normal. Your basic preseason tweak. But with Arenas, the smallest things can blow up into huge issues. On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a two, with “he brought weapons to the locker room and jokes about it” being a 10.
He’ll likely be back in practice tomorrow, no biggie. Consider this simply a very small cloud on the horizon of a very nice day.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'