Oct 3, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas is like the escaped mental patient at the cocktail party. Everyone’s got their eye on him, even if he’s just going to get more cocktail wieners from the buffet. That’s just how it’s going to be for a while. Those who aren’t worried about his injuries are afraid he’ll do something negligent and stupid again, those who aren’t worried about his maturity are concerned he’ll get hurt doing something routine.
And it’s that latter crew that has to be raising its eyebrows right now. There’s no mumble attached to the eyebrow raise, just enough for them to look up briefly from their Sunday paper. Friday, Gilbert Arenas didn’t practice, due to “soreness” in his leg. But no big deal, he scrimmaged late Friday. Then Saturday, he was back on the bench during the scrimmage with an ankle “tweak.”
Two minor injuries, nothing to worry about, unless you’re watching Gilbert Arenas whose recoveries from knee injuries would turn from days into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. Excellent Wizards blog Bullets Forever glimpsed over it, and in reality, that’s probably what we should do. If this was anyone else, we’d consider everything normal. Your basic preseason tweak. But with Arenas, the smallest things can blow up into huge issues. On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a two, with “he brought weapons to the locker room and jokes about it” being a 10.
He’ll likely be back in practice tomorrow, no biggie. Consider this simply a very small cloud on the horizon of a very nice day.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49