Are you more surprised Kobe thinks he can beat LeBron one-on-one or that the sun came up today? We say the latter.
Oct 3, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Look, if you built a robot, designed to replicate Michael Jordan’s intensity and scoring ability, combined with the frame of Hakeem Olajuwon and the defensive ability of your pick between Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen, and asked Kobe Bryant “Could you beat the robot one-on-one?”, he’s going to say yes. Quickly. That’s how he’s programmed. That’s what makes him who he is. It defines him as a human being, practically, philosophically, in all ways.
So when HoopsFix decided to ask Kobe a few months back who would win, you’re never going to guess how he answered. Take it away, Kobester!
In the crayon box, there should be a neutral color crayon called “Kobe thinks he can beat someone one-on-one.” Then you can color me with it.
Thing is, though, Kobe’s right. LeBron is a Magic Johnson type. He is more focused on the all-around game. He is better setting up his teammates. He is focused on the all-around game versus breaking down his opponent face up. Which is what would make a Heat-Lakers Finals so compelling in the unlikely event it were to occur (lots to happen between now and then.. you’re not buying this, are you?). It would be a stunning contrast in philosophic approach between the two biggest stars in the game, contrasted by their attitudes. Kobe is focused on individual greatness, being the best you can possibly be, even though he doesn’t care what you think about him. LeBron is focused on setting up his teammates and helping them succeed, even though he’s unarguably one of the most arrogant people on the planet. You know, outside of the whole “hype so high it would threaten to destroy the planet” thing, that would make the Finals pretty entertaining.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 0
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 13
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 0
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 35
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 28
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22