Oct 2, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
We brought you news from FanHouse yesterday that Kenyon Martin was not going to be rushing back from injury to help the Nuggets because he’s miffed they elected to give Al Harrington “their money.” Martin’s in no hurry to help out the Nuggets after they failed to give him a big contract extension. Now, Kenyon Martin is a professional and thinks he does great work. He’s a proud individual who believes he’s been a huge part of the Nuggets’ success (limited though it’s been, outside of a single WCF appearance). So it’s understandable that he has these feelings about how the Nuggets haven’t rewarded him with for his efforts.
Here’s the thing. Kenyon Martin needs to chill out.
Kenyon Martin is getting $16.5 million in this, the last season of his contract. That’s about, oh, $12 million more than he’s worth at this point. And that’s fine. He signed a contract years ago, he gets the money he’s owed. That’s how this works. But Martin has played just 197 of a possible 328 games in the past four years. He averaged 12 points and 9.4 rebounds, just shy of a double-double last season, so he’s right that he’s putting in the work. He also turns 33 this year and has had his billionth knee surgery. New GM Masai Ujiri walked into a Carmelo Anthony trade demand. And KMart wanted Ujiri to make him the priority?
Martin’s asking for reasonable money, in the same line as what they gave Al Harrington. You know, a younger player that can put more points on the board (though not nearly as many rebounds). They addressed what they felt was a need. Martin has every right to want a contract extension. But to act spurned, as if some wrong has been done to him because the Nuggets didn’t make a 33 year old forward with massive injury issues their contract priority? It’s just typical KMart.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8