Oct 2, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
I’m not going to waste your time with a workup of an intro. Let’s just get into the meat on this one, okay? The Sixers were in training camp and put Evan Turner and Lou Williams in the backcourt for the second team. Makes sense. You would have thought Turner might wind up on the first team with Iggy sliding down to 3, but apparently not, and that’s cool. However Doug Collins wants his show, you know?
But what’s crazy is that the backcourt was struggling with Williams on-ball and Turner off. From the Philadelphia Inquirer, this gem from Doug Collins:
“What I saw was when Lou and Evan were together, when Lou was on the ball and Evan was off, they struggled, because Evan wasn’t sure and Lou didn’t do a very good job of getting us into our stuff,” Collins said. “Then we moved Evan to the ball and moved Lou and they both were good. So you can see where they’re most comfortable right now.
“What we’re doing with Evan is we’re mixing and matching him so he can do a little of both. But, at the end of the day, Lou’s a scorer and that’s what we’re going to have to do, put him in those kinds of positions ’cause if we put him out there to run the team, it really takes away what he does best.
I did not see that coming. I mean, sure, Turner has the potential, but he went from a 3/2 to a 2/3 and now to a 2/1 or 1/2. That’s dizzying. It’s an intriguing idea, though, considering Turner does have scoring ability through the roof but also had great assist and rebounding numbers at Ohio State. With better teammates, working him as a creator on-ball might be the best option. It goes to show how Collins is getting outside the box with the kid’s development and honestly, breathes a bit of light into a franchise that’s on unstable ground as it enters the season.
Can’t wait to see this thing in function, if they stick with it.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 0
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 13
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64