Oct 2, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
I’m not going to waste your time with a workup of an intro. Let’s just get into the meat on this one, okay? The Sixers were in training camp and put Evan Turner and Lou Williams in the backcourt for the second team. Makes sense. You would have thought Turner might wind up on the first team with Iggy sliding down to 3, but apparently not, and that’s cool. However Doug Collins wants his show, you know?
But what’s crazy is that the backcourt was struggling with Williams on-ball and Turner off. From the Philadelphia Inquirer, this gem from Doug Collins:
“What I saw was when Lou and Evan were together, when Lou was on the ball and Evan was off, they struggled, because Evan wasn’t sure and Lou didn’t do a very good job of getting us into our stuff,” Collins said. “Then we moved Evan to the ball and moved Lou and they both were good. So you can see where they’re most comfortable right now.
“What we’re doing with Evan is we’re mixing and matching him so he can do a little of both. But, at the end of the day, Lou’s a scorer and that’s what we’re going to have to do, put him in those kinds of positions ’cause if we put him out there to run the team, it really takes away what he does best.
I did not see that coming. I mean, sure, Turner has the potential, but he went from a 3/2 to a 2/3 and now to a 2/1 or 1/2. That’s dizzying. It’s an intriguing idea, though, considering Turner does have scoring ability through the roof but also had great assist and rebounding numbers at Ohio State. With better teammates, working him as a creator on-ball might be the best option. It goes to show how Collins is getting outside the box with the kid’s development and honestly, breathes a bit of light into a franchise that’s on unstable ground as it enters the season.
Can’t wait to see this thing in function, if they stick with it.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 2
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)