Oct 2, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony went to an MMA event in suburban Denver the other night, according to Chris Tommason at FanHouse. As they do at just about every sporting event — including NBA games in some cities — the celebrities in the crowd get shown on the big screen.
Anthony’s picture went up. The crowd booed.
Anthony better get used to that.
He can say all he wants he didn’t ask for a trade, but we all know his people — his agent and the force of CAA — did tell the Nuggets he was not signing the three-year, $65 million deal and gave them preferred trade destinations.
He can say all he wants he will talk to everyone after the season, but we all know that telling Denver he was not signing the extension now was as good as asking for a trade — Denver is not going to end up like Cleveland and Toronto where the earth has been scorched and salted.
Denver fans are smart, they get that. They know this comes from Anthony. (And don’t go blaming his new wife, at the end of the day this is about what he asks for, it is his career not hers.)
Denver fans have backed Anthony, supported this team and they have the right to feel disrespected. They have the right to express their anger and frustration.
George Karl hit it on the head — there is only one thing Melo can do to silence the crowds and win them back.
“Sign the extension,” Karl said Friday.
“I think the fans have always been respectful here, and they want us to be the best basketball team,” Karl said when asked what might happen with Anthony next Friday. “I think all cities want their players to be loyal to the city. So I think you’re probably going to see both. So there’s going to be some ‘Melo love and some ‘Melo hangup.”
If Anthony is not going to put his pen on the paper, he has to expect the reaction. Regardless of how he plays on the court. Denver fans feel hurt and spurned. They will make those feelings known. And Anthony will have to live with that as consequences of his choices.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11