Oct 1, 2010, 1:56 PM EST
Who is the starting center for the Miami Heat?
It was one of the big questions heading into training camp. There’s athletic but undersized Joel Anthony. There is Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who is not young but can still knock down the midrange. There is Jamaal Magloire who can bang.
So who is it? How about all of them?
Spoelstra said he could see center by committee: “Ideally, we would use all three based on matchups… Joel brings speed and athleticism. Big Z stretches the floor. Jamaal brings great toughness.”
The thought of something done by committee makes anyone who ever worked in an office, followed the government or watched a baseball team with a “closer by committee” cringe. Committees can be ugly things.
However this seams the best plan for the Heat this season, something which may well work out fine. Especially during most regular season games when the Heat will just overwhelm with talent. They have 82 of those games to see what works and what doesn’t at the five. Because come the playoffs — come Dwight and Shaq and Perkins and Bynum — the Heat are going to have to have answers if they want to reach their goal.
We’ll see if a committee can get them there.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 10
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46