Oct 1, 2010, 1:56 PM EDT
Who is the starting center for the Miami Heat?
It was one of the big questions heading into training camp. There’s athletic but undersized Joel Anthony. There is Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who is not young but can still knock down the midrange. There is Jamaal Magloire who can bang.
So who is it? How about all of them?
Spoelstra said he could see center by committee: “Ideally, we would use all three based on matchups… Joel brings speed and athleticism. Big Z stretches the floor. Jamaal brings great toughness.”
The thought of something done by committee makes anyone who ever worked in an office, followed the government or watched a baseball team with a “closer by committee” cringe. Committees can be ugly things.
However this seams the best plan for the Heat this season, something which may well work out fine. Especially during most regular season games when the Heat will just overwhelm with talent. They have 82 of those games to see what works and what doesn’t at the five. Because come the playoffs — come Dwight and Shaq and Perkins and Bynum — the Heat are going to have to have answers if they want to reach their goal.
We’ll see if a committee can get them there.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9