Oct 1, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves are in Europe, too. Think of them like the first opening act at a huge stadium concert, the band that comes on before the Knicks and then the Lakers take the stage. The band you kind of hear while you are still tailgating in the parking lot.
But the Timberwolves have a huge European connection, too. No, not Darko.
The Timberwolves have the rights to Ricky Rubio.
Rubio chose not to sign with the Timberwolves, instead inking a deal with Barcelona to stay in Europe for now. However, next season Rubio could come stateside. And while there Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor wants to make that happen and…. well, we’ll let Alan Hahn at Newsday explain.
Reports out of Minnesota say Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is trying to get Ricky Rubio’s parents to meet him in Paris, where the Wolves play the Knicks on Wednesday, for dinner so they can discuss their son’s plans for the NBA. Apparently, The Rubios aren’t interested in having dinner with Taylor and the T-Wolves.
Rubio could come to the NBA next season, but with the looming labor situation and a lockout possible (if not likely) don’t be shocked if Rubio decides to stay in Europe another year or two. Also, if he stays there long enough he would not have to come to the NBA under the rookie salary scale (something Tiago Splitter avoided).
But when he does come to the NBA, you can bet he’d rather do it in New York than Minnesota. I wonder if Rubio’s parents would meet with Mike D’Antoni and the Knicks?
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43