Oct 1, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves are in Europe, too. Think of them like the first opening act at a huge stadium concert, the band that comes on before the Knicks and then the Lakers take the stage. The band you kind of hear while you are still tailgating in the parking lot.
But the Timberwolves have a huge European connection, too. No, not Darko.
The Timberwolves have the rights to Ricky Rubio.
Rubio chose not to sign with the Timberwolves, instead inking a deal with Barcelona to stay in Europe for now. However, next season Rubio could come stateside. And while there Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor wants to make that happen and…. well, we’ll let Alan Hahn at Newsday explain.
Reports out of Minnesota say Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is trying to get Ricky Rubio’s parents to meet him in Paris, where the Wolves play the Knicks on Wednesday, for dinner so they can discuss their son’s plans for the NBA. Apparently, The Rubios aren’t interested in having dinner with Taylor and the T-Wolves.
Rubio could come to the NBA next season, but with the looming labor situation and a lockout possible (if not likely) don’t be shocked if Rubio decides to stay in Europe another year or two. Also, if he stays there long enough he would not have to come to the NBA under the rookie salary scale (something Tiago Splitter avoided).
But when he does come to the NBA, you can bet he’d rather do it in New York than Minnesota. I wonder if Rubio’s parents would meet with Mike D’Antoni and the Knicks?
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 0
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 2
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 8
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7