Oct 1, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
A lot of guys got contract extensions this summer. Kenyon Martin was not one of them. What he did get was knee surgery.
And he’s pretty ticked about it. Check out these comments to FanHouse’s Chris Tomasson:
“(It is) my last year of my deal. We all know it. Ain’t nobody in a hurry to give me (another) one. So I’m not going to be in a hurry to come back and risk it. Think about it. Ain’t nobody in a hurry to give me a contract, so why would I be in a hurry to rush back and risk further injury? It makes all the sense in the world. I’ve thought about it.”
The Nuggets did give money this summer to Al Harrington. Martin got none of that.
He says it could be a couple of months until he gets back. He realizes he is playing for a contract now and he wants to be healthy, not go out and struggle because he is still injured. Martin is going to take his time.
And there is not much the Nuggets can do about it (unless they trade Melo and then decide to rip the team apart). The Nuggets need Martin and his energy along the front line if they have any dreams of making a run. But it’s a business and that side comes first.
Which is why Martin will take his time coming back.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 32
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record