Oct 1, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
A lot of guys got contract extensions this summer. Kenyon Martin was not one of them. What he did get was knee surgery.
And he’s pretty ticked about it. Check out these comments to FanHouse’s Chris Tomasson:
“(It is) my last year of my deal. We all know it. Ain’t nobody in a hurry to give me (another) one. So I’m not going to be in a hurry to come back and risk it. Think about it. Ain’t nobody in a hurry to give me a contract, so why would I be in a hurry to rush back and risk further injury? It makes all the sense in the world. I’ve thought about it.”
The Nuggets did give money this summer to Al Harrington. Martin got none of that.
He says it could be a couple of months until he gets back. He realizes he is playing for a contract now and he wants to be healthy, not go out and struggle because he is still injured. Martin is going to take his time.
And there is not much the Nuggets can do about it (unless they trade Melo and then decide to rip the team apart). The Nuggets need Martin and his energy along the front line if they have any dreams of making a run. But it’s a business and that side comes first.
Which is why Martin will take his time coming back.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32