Charles Barkley on LeBron: “Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider…”

Oct 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for cbarkley.jpgWell, the chances of Charles Barkley and TNT getting a one-on-one sit down with LeBron just fell to below zero…

Charles Barkley went on WIP in Philadelphia with Howard Eskin and Ike Reese, primarily to talk about football because… sorry, don’t have an answer for that one. But Barkley talked McNabb coming back to Philly Sunday.

Then, of course, somebody asked him about LeBron saying race played some role in the backlash to his decision and… here we go:

“It’s like watching a movie. Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider, it gets more stupid…

“Howard I’m telling you. Sometimes you just say he’s making bad decisions and you’re like okay, he’s gonna get it together. Then he makes more bad decisions. The thing that’s interesting about LeBron, I don’t think Magic, Michael, and myself, we said we wouldn’t have did it. That’s not a criticism. We were asked a question. I don’t want to play with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, or Michael, I want to beat them. That’s strictly basketball. The only criticism I’ve heard about LeBron and it was my biggest criticism, that decision thing was just stupid. It was stupid. The second thing when they all came out there dancing around on stage, that was silly. That’s the only thing I’ve heard LeBron get criticized about. That has nothing to do with race. That’s what makes this last thing so stupid. That’s stupid. The only criticism of LeBron has been the decision and the one hour of our life that we can’t have back. And ESPN, oh my God. Oh my God. To go down to training camp and report everyday is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. I’m watching yesterday and one of the guys actually said LeBron looked fierce in practice. I’m like fierce in practice? What the hell does that mean? He was fierce in the second day of training camp. You’re like come on man, he really didn’t say that did he. This summer with LeBron and all the stuff that went on is like a bad movie. You just can’t make this stuff up.”

No you can’t make stuff like this up.

1. Greg - Oct 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM

A lot of people don’t know that Charles is partly manipulated by Commissioner David Stern. Charles is gullible to being used by people like this. I am sure he is one of his consistent phone buddies. I noticed some of the rhetoric out of Charles’ mouth. It is more like an Establishment Person than an employee. Stern fined Dan Gilbert for his comments about Lebron after he left Cleveland. I am willing to bet he is not going to do anything to Charles for his stupid comments about Lebron. They are not foolin’ me. You can’t make a Bama Bumpkin into a politically astute spokeperson. Charles has this confused misrepresentation of himself.

2. Adub - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

What did he owe but what his contract stated. That’s why it’s called free agency. He gave his best and now he can do what he wants. EIGHT YEARS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH! Come on dude! In the days Barkley was playing situations didn’t allow the player to make that kind of decision. I smell a HATER in BARKLEY! Just because he has no CHAMPIONSHIP RING doesn’t mean LEBRON remain without one too…

3. Gk - Oct 3, 2010 at 2:06 AM

This must be a joke. Barkley rarely said anything that sounded intelligent and played the race card in so many stupid ways. And for Barkley to compare himself to Jordan and Magic is delusional.

4. Laker's Fan - Oct 3, 2010 at 3:11 AM

I remember once the Clippers used a quote from Barkley helping them to sell tickets for the upcoming season. Barkley said the Clippers were going to have a great season – a team to watch that year! Of course, the Clippers sucked again that year. So King Charles isn’t always right. But he rules the Kingdom of Truth on this topic! Lebron is a great player which compensates for his lack of prowess when it comes to how to work the media. Barkley knows how that’s done. His comments have instantly ignited almost 100 comments on this blog alone. While Lebron had his Hour of Power over the summer, Barkley has numerous television commercials running. Barkley is saying what people are thinking. A lot of folks hate the Lakers. Why? Because they win all the time! A lot of people can’t stand Lebron. Why? Because he cares more about himself then he does about the city and the game.

5. Alfred - Oct 3, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I agree with you 125%. Barkley may have been slightly better than mediocre in his NBA days. He is certainly not Magic, Michael or Larry Bird.LeBron is only trying to get a ring. As good as LeBron may be right now, without a ring, his career will not be complete. So I implore Mr. Charles Barkley to shut up and stop be been stupid.

6. JCSANDERS - Oct 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Here we go again! Charles is a person that “needs” to talk about someone to feel better that he didnnt won any championship! He has to focus and give comment about the game itself and understand that he is not a player any more and that his “time” is already over.

7. Maurice Wilkins - Oct 4, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Barkley is a liar! He mentioned the move was a punk move but lets now mention that… Why is he trying to include his name amongst the elite??? Barkley, while we are on that subject of what you wouldn’t have done, LBJ can say he wouldn’t have gotten a DUI, fighting, gambling, run-in with law throwing people through windows etc. LBJ has a right to seek new employment wherever that maybe. Just know that he will get a ring which is another thing you wouldn’t or couldn’t have done even with the Dream and Drexler! Barkley is a BUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. usafmom07 - Oct 4, 2010 at 4:44 AM

Lebron will never win another MVP… Not because he doesnt deserve it… or that he ever did… simply because fans thought he was a leader and found out he is not! My issue with Lebron is not because he is black it is because he made a fool of himself to all those people who actually cared about the game… He got famous because he could play and he was what Cleveland needed, a hometown boy with a good game..His numbers speak for him…He is good! Quite possibley great… What a difference a year makes… I wish him well, But as a Cleveland girl, I will still be cheering on my team…. I am a CAVS FAN!!

9. HoopsHoops0801 - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
    Charles Barkley is the “KING” of stupid decisions! Gambling, B-Jobs in his car…..the list goes on and on…….I like C Barkley – but he has in my opinion gone a bit too far on this one. He needs to shut up – or he may find himself without a job on TNT – they suspended him last time for his “stupid” stints – and this may just get him another “technical”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Robert Newman - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Charles is not the most eloquent spokesman for basketball, but he does generally get it right. Blaming the backlash of James’ departure for Miami on racial prejudice is foolish. Fans like loyalty in their heroes. If Michael Jordan had opted to go play for the Lakers after being idolized by Chicago fans, he too would have ended up the object of a lot of negative comments. James was being paid a lot of money by the Cavs and the ownership was obviously trying to increase the talent level on the team enough to make them a challenger. When you walk away from your team and make the announcement into a Las Vegas style media event without even telling the Cavs owner what LeBron was doing in advance is a very low class act. Race had nothing to do with it.

11. Andi - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong. This is America, race matters. No USA college White players could keep up with the speed or the jumping abilities of Negro players. At the time, the NBA was not going to put all five Negroes on the floor at the same time. Secondly, young White kids needed some role models. Bird and Mchale was just about it at the time. The NBA got a 3pt shooter who got killed in a car accident and Vlade(Lakers). Portland got an old Russian center and the flood gates opened. Bird was the great White hope. He did have skills but the league was becoming all Negro. Owners and coaches would not start 5 Negro players at that time. And remember, before the Dream Teams, the foreign players(grown men) were beating US teams on the regular. That is why the Dream Team was formed, to stop the bleeding. Then the Bulls got Tony Kucoach and he did well and other players from those foreign teams were imported. Just about the whole Spain team and Argentina’s entire team play in the NBA. They ain’t Negro.
    What goes around comes around. Negroes were banned from the NBA in the beginning and was about to be taken over by Negroes. At the time, America wasn’t having it. Even in Boston with RED, 5 Negroes were not going to start for the team. Russel and the boys had to eat around back and stay in Negro hotels. Times were bad for Negroes. Now think, when was the first time you saw 5 Negroes starting a game? Boston Celtics last championship(2007-2008). And now foreign players go to US colleges so that helps teams not be all Negro also. This is America, race matters here.

12. Jay - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Who’s more stupid the guy washing his car in the rain or the guy watching him? I have cable at home and when I’m changing the channel if I’m not interested or think something is “stupid” (as Charles puts it) I change the channel. If Charles has an issue with Lebron CHANGE THE _____ CHANNEL!!!” It’s not like he’s working and is required to watch/follow the NBA. What’s bothering me is what about Karl Malone going from Utah to LA? Or Gary Payton going from Seattle to LA to Miami? What about Clyde Drexler? or more importantly what about Charles himself? Being a great player can and always will be up for debate but being a champion can’t. Charles, Reggie, Dominique (in my opinion) were all great players, but they were never NBA champions (that’s a fact). Does them not winning make them any less of a player or if they wouldve does it make their careers better? It’s debatable. Every single sport I know of has some sort of pinnacle. Something that signifies the “best”. If you dont raise that trophy in whatever sport you play in, in my personal opinion you can never be considered the best.

13. Ron B - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player that ever played the game and the Bulls were a dynasty. Scottie pippen was probably the 2nd or 3rd best all around player in the entire league at that time, Dennis Rodman was the greatest rebounder of that era, Toni Kukoch was one of the best 3 point shooters, Steve Kerr,John Paxson,Horace Grant,they all were great compliments to their team. I dont get it when people say Michael, Magic, larry didnt have the same type teams as what lebron and D Wade have attempted to put togetehr. I think people dont like it because they went against the grain and called their own shots at such a young age on putting a great team together. Go Heat

14. Paul R - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

All better than Barkley are you kidding me. I watched the dream team when they pounded everyone they played and let me tell you, Chuck was “the man”. He absolutely belongs with those guys. And bye the way, there has never been a man in the NBA that was his height that could rebound the basketball the way Charles did. I’m a fan, all he did was go out and play great every game.

15. luffy - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Please don’t talk anymore…
    I agree w/Karl Malone being equal or better than Sir Charles but Scottie Pippen and Kevin Mchale, better than Barkley you say? You have got to be kidding us. Of all the stupid, you take the cake…
    Charles Barkley is a monster for his height during his prime…

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches