Charles Barkley on LeBron: “Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider…”

Oct 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for cbarkley.jpgWell, the chances of Charles Barkley and TNT getting a one-on-one sit down with LeBron just fell to below zero…

Charles Barkley went on WIP in Philadelphia with Howard Eskin and Ike Reese, primarily to talk about football because… sorry, don’t have an answer for that one. But Barkley talked McNabb coming back to Philly Sunday.

Then, of course, somebody asked him about LeBron saying race played some role in the backlash to his decision and… here we go:

“It’s like watching a movie. Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider, it gets more stupid…

“Howard I’m telling you. Sometimes you just say he’s making bad decisions and you’re like okay, he’s gonna get it together. Then he makes more bad decisions. The thing that’s interesting about LeBron, I don’t think Magic, Michael, and myself, we said we wouldn’t have did it. That’s not a criticism. We were asked a question. I don’t want to play with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, or Michael, I want to beat them. That’s strictly basketball. The only criticism I’ve heard about LeBron and it was my biggest criticism, that decision thing was just stupid. It was stupid. The second thing when they all came out there dancing around on stage, that was silly. That’s the only thing I’ve heard LeBron get criticized about. That has nothing to do with race. That’s what makes this last thing so stupid. That’s stupid. The only criticism of LeBron has been the decision and the one hour of our life that we can’t have back. And ESPN, oh my God. Oh my God. To go down to training camp and report everyday is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. I’m watching yesterday and one of the guys actually said LeBron looked fierce in practice. I’m like fierce in practice? What the hell does that mean? He was fierce in the second day of training camp. You’re like come on man, he really didn’t say that did he. This summer with LeBron and all the stuff that went on is like a bad movie. You just can’t make this stuff up.”

No you can’t make stuff like this up.

1. Hasley - Oct 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Charles BARKLEY needs to close his trap. He sounds like he is jealous and resentful of Labron James. Not even in his greatest prime days in the NBA league could his talents hold a candle to the athletic abilities of Labron. Charles, stop your hating, you sound like a little b….. Your behavior when you was in the league was not only stupid, but disgusting. You need to keep your mouth close, dude. You will be on the tube this month with your outrageous comments, which sometimes are so ridiculous they actually funny.

2. twin - Oct 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM

If you dont think chuck belongs with those other greats, no disrespect, your just not old enough. he was in some great NBA battles. more importantly, than our opinion, those great ballers have the same respect for chuck.
    The racism comments were ridiculous. I wish they were specific. what was racist about the way Lebron was treated?

3. Andi - Oct 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Race plays a part in every aspect of living. You know why the NBA went foreign? To keep the league from becoming ALL NEGRO.
    I think the owner of the Cavs is the person who writes the players checks. I think he is more than light skinned.
    I think the people that run NIKE, or the founder, or the CEO is more than light skinned. When I was stationed in Korea, the Nike shoes were made there by Korean people. Then they get shipped to the USA, well made or not.
    Those High School buddies that think they are helping with decision making are not qualified to do what-ever they think they are doing. Contracts and negotiations need some type of legal representation or association that is not taught in High School. I read those dudes did not have a clue about business when they went to talk to team General Managers when Bron-Bron was visiting teams. The NBA is a business, not High School. I heard 30 million dollars was left on the table that Bron let sit. But he wants to be a Billionaire. Looks to me 30 million brings you closer to that billion. I think those HS buddies need to learn about Finance and let a Lawyer handle contracts.
    A trade would have been the best way to handle the whole situation. Looks like Wade and Bron planned this whole thing by only signing those 3 year contracts. The Heat need to go 82-0, win every play-off game and win the NBA championship to make up for all this childish and stupid behavior.
    Barkley was not that good. All he did was argue with the Refs all game long and all season long(like Ainge). He was a one man fast break that would dunk after dribbling the length of the court. The other players didn’t touch the ball. Andrew Toney was the Sixers star and that little Johnson guard was the super star for the Suns(Mayor of Sac). Barkley had a lot of off the court problems during the season also. Role model he was not.
    The Cavs brought in 20 or 30 plus players to play with Bron-Bron. Nothing worked. Now all of a sudden playing with Wade and Bosh is suppose to make a difference? Chicago,Orlando,Boston and the Lakers play defense. And let’s not forget about the Refs and injuries. I don’t see the Heat winning the championship any-time soon.

4. JordanisKing23 - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

hemlock09 – you’re not even on topic. Charles called Lebron out for using the race card. And from one Brutha to Anotha… He can call him out all day long! He defended L’s right to go to a different team. Just don’t make a spectical of it. Go out and Play Ball.

5. jeff - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I would take Barkley over Pippen and Rodman any day. 23 points and 11 rebounds a game for a guy that is 6’6″ is totally amazing.

6. Dtefnut - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I WANT TO VOMIT EVERY TIME I HEAR LeCOWARD’s NAME. He deserves everything coming to him.

7. Jerryeeeeee - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Way to go Chas. We have the NFL, college football, and the MLB playoffs, and ESPN continues to push extra versions of their paid newscast of the decision every hour on Sportscenter. Enough, don’t want to see it, just want to see if they can deliver on the stupid coming out party they decided to hang their legacy on.
    LeBron still doesn’t get it. Won’t ever. He surrounds himself with childhood buddies who have the same vision of the world as he got during his 12 years of higher education.

8. dtefnut - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Love You Barkley! Keep saying it as it is.

9. vomit - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Love You Barkley! Keep saying it as it is.

10. johnny bell - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM

i agree with you carlos

11. ben - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Hes gotten involved with the cocaine MAFIA in FLA. You heard it here first.

12. K Factor - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM

The funniest part about this is, is that he said “Magic, Michael, and myself.” Can someone slap this fool and tell him he doesnt belong in the same locker room as those 2. Or LeBron and Wade for that matter so keep saying things to make yourself relevant.

13. Thriller - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Okay Frank, let’s just say it. You don’t like CB…great we all have 1 or more we don’t like either. For me, Carl Malone, but do I say Malone wasn’t 1 of the greats because he never won a ring…not only is that crazy it’s just plain stupid. I’d go so far as to say there are far more that never won a ring than have. Just depends on how far back you’d like to go. No doubt Barkley’s not the greatest, but for his size, numbers and ability to take over a game…you gotta be brain dead, and he’s not even close to being 1 of my favorite players.

14. Thriller - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM

15. Thriller - Oct 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Think about some of those no talent Celts from way back dribbling with 1 hand that have lots of rings. We don’t have to name them and they aren’t the only ones. Lots of folks have speech issues and are also human and wish to have somewhat of a normal life…kinda like you. Never had a drink Frank?

16. Cordae - Oct 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Dude, I watch NBA classic all the time. I can name 4 players who were better than him in that time span. His best year for his first 5 was his rookie year, do your homework. He choked in the playoffs in phoenix. And I’m not a disgrace, he is. He’s ALWAYS stuck his foot in his mouth, from the “I am not a role model” comment to this one. So call it what you wanna, disgrace, shame, anything, he still mouths off at the wrong time towards the WRONG people! EFFFFFFF HIM! Anymore words?…

17. Michele - Oct 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Huge sports fan all my life!! GO GREEN! Charles Barkley is one of the worst commentators that I have ever heard in sports. I would never watch the NBA if it weren’t for the Pistons or LeBron James.

18. Michele - Oct 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM

19. b - Oct 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM

im always amazed at the idiocy on the internet, but i had to comment on this one (as its about something that trivial and yet so thoroughly documented, that true sports fans can actually, you know, do research to find proof of what is being said).
    1) sir charles was a stud during his career. anyone who says otherwise never watched ball during that era or doesn’t watch it at all.
    2) he commented on lebrat because he was asked of his opinion.
    3) he mentioned himself, mj, and magic because those were the 2 other legends from the past that were the most vocal and/or covered in their respective responses from being asked the “lebron decision”.
    4) lebron is a spoiled brat. he’s also very young.
    5) race has almost nothing to play into the perception of lebron during this offseason. as a minority, i’m actually slightly sickened by his choice to pull out the race card on something this irrelevant and trivial, just to either massage his ego, or because he is so out of touch with the real world that he can’t seem to grasp life outside of his twisted bubble that is his life. this, more than anything proves that lebron needs to grow up and mature.

20. Anonymous - Oct 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM

You will no doubt respond with more trashy language but I would appreciate if you would clean up the language a bit.

21. Cordae - Oct 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM

lol okay grams. Only because you asked politely.

22. Dorothy - Oct 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM

How old are you Carlos. You have no clue. I saw the greats play, Russell, Chamberlin, etc. Barkley is among that bunch, Holmes

23. Frank - Oct 2, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Cleveland will not let LeBron light up the Q on his return to town. They will engage in some collusion of their own and fix the outcome of the game. Miami will win against the cave in Quickens Loan Arena. However, it will be the Cavs fans that dictate this. Before LeBron has the satisfaction of lighting up a career performance, he will be booed like never before. They decorum will be hostile, and LeBron and his teammates will win by forfeit as they are escorted in fear from the Q after being pelted by every object that can get thrown at a sporting event. This event will be a disgrace that will live in infamy just as the “Decision” did!

24. Gwaarin - Oct 2, 2010 at 2:47 AM

I was never a fan of Barkley, but he is right on the money with this one.
    LeBron is getting dumber and dumber. The “decision”, the dancing, and the race card? Give me a break!! I was a huge fan of his until he took a crap on Cleveland on live TV. That was the most classless act I have ever witnessed.

25. wizard of OZ - Oct 2, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Karl Malone was the great power forward of all time. Barkley never challenged Karl in the Paint. Barkley was better that Pippen offensively, but Scotty was better defensively. Remember when Charles said he was gonna mess up Stockton for setting picks for Karl in the playoffs ? Karl told charles they would take him out of the area in a body bag if any thing happen to John. Sure enough, Barkely was all bark and no bite.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview