Charles Barkley on LeBron: “Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider…”

Oct 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for cbarkley.jpgWell, the chances of Charles Barkley and TNT getting a one-on-one sit down with LeBron just fell to below zero…

Charles Barkley went on WIP in Philadelphia with Howard Eskin and Ike Reese, primarily to talk about football because… sorry, don’t have an answer for that one. But Barkley talked McNabb coming back to Philly Sunday.

Then, of course, somebody asked him about LeBron saying race played some role in the backlash to his decision and… here we go:

“It’s like watching a movie. Just when you think it couldn’t get any stupider, it gets more stupid…

“Howard I’m telling you. Sometimes you just say he’s making bad decisions and you’re like okay, he’s gonna get it together. Then he makes more bad decisions. The thing that’s interesting about LeBron, I don’t think Magic, Michael, and myself, we said we wouldn’t have did it. That’s not a criticism. We were asked a question. I don’t want to play with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, or Michael, I want to beat them. That’s strictly basketball. The only criticism I’ve heard about LeBron and it was my biggest criticism, that decision thing was just stupid. It was stupid. The second thing when they all came out there dancing around on stage, that was silly. That’s the only thing I’ve heard LeBron get criticized about. That has nothing to do with race. That’s what makes this last thing so stupid. That’s stupid. The only criticism of LeBron has been the decision and the one hour of our life that we can’t have back. And ESPN, oh my God. Oh my God. To go down to training camp and report everyday is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. I’m watching yesterday and one of the guys actually said LeBron looked fierce in practice. I’m like fierce in practice? What the hell does that mean? He was fierce in the second day of training camp. You’re like come on man, he really didn’t say that did he. This summer with LeBron and all the stuff that went on is like a bad movie. You just can’t make this stuff up.”

No you can’t make stuff like this up.

1. docbarber - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Round mound of rebound. Tell it like it is. Chuck B.

2. carlos - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Why is Barkley mentioning his name with Magic, Bird or Jordan. He is not even close within that group of players. Please shut up already and go gamble in vegas

3. Shock Exchange - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM

INTERPRETATION: WHAT BARKLEY REALLY MEANT IN HIS CRITICISM OF LEBRON —–> http://clicky.me/18UQ

4. Shock Exchange - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

INTERPRETATION: WHAT BARKLEY REALLY MEANT IN HIS CRITICISM OF LEBRON —–> http://Clicky.me/18UQ

5. Carlos's Daddy - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Dead wrong… the list of greats should include a couple more from that era, but Barkley does belong in that company and don’t act like just because he said it himself you haven’t heard it before.

6. mac - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Well, Barkley says a lot of things but here I totally agree with him

7. Frank - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

LoL That MJ, Magic, Bird and (ahem… Barkley) wouldn’t want to play together.
    1. Magic fired his coach.
    2. Magic had Worthy, who was better than Barkley, and the Lakers brought in Mcadoo and Lucas, and already had Kareem–all better than Barkley.
    3. MJ had Pippen, who was better than Barkley, and also brought in Rodman, who was a better rebounder and defender than Barkley, and has 5 more rings than Barkley, who has none.
    4. There WAS talk of Barkley joining Magic or MJ–many times.
    What is with this thing about “Lebron is taking the easy way out, we wouldn’t have done it”? Barkley, like Malone, always got talked in to signing the next contract instead of going to a top team. That’s why they have no rings. The stupidest thing is Barkley lying and exagerrating.

8. Shawn - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Charles Barkely is GREAT once again saying what everybody else is thinking! How Lebron took it from what it was to a racism issue still escapes me.
    The whole “decision” thing completely backfired in his face because he was exposed as an arrogant athlete and lost something in the public eye.
    I personally think he handled the entire situation terribly! He did not allow the Cavs an opportunity to trade him so they will be terrible this year, he signed with the celebrity flashy team instead of picking a team like Chicago that had a much better nucleus, and his one hour special showed his true character on live TV for all to see.
    His post-decision comments just keep making him look worse & worse. He needs to stick to what he is best at – playing ball.
    GO LAKERS!!!

9. Frank - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Yes! Barkley = FAIL
    Fat, degenerate gambler, alcoholic, incoherent, rambling, bored, almost sleeping on live TV, hookers, DUI = FAIL
    Desperate to criticize players (Lebron, Kobe) who are way younger, with way more talent and discipline, making FAR more money, and who are superstars in the new world of the NBA = STFU

10. Tecc09 - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Good ol Chuck Wagon does belong on that list with those great players.. Turn off your Xbox and flip over to ESPN Classic and actually watch a game dude.. Sir Charles was a great player

11. Tecc09 - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Chuck never criticized LeBron about the move.. he criticized him about how he did it.. Chuck didn’t take a crap on Philly or Phoenix when he left to chase his ring as I recall the way LeBron did with “The Decision”..That was a total dick move from Lebron.. he at least owed the city that much… As for Charles.. Philly still loves the guy and he still lives in Phoenix…

12. Ben Roethlisberger - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

LBJ is an ass

13. Frank - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Barkley is a clown. Sometimes I honestly think he is on TV to make us look bad and promote bad stereotypes. Sure, the concept of racism is ridiculous to Barkley. Why wouldn’t it be? “Boss puts me on TV and gives me all the beer and BBQ I can eat; all I have to do is sit here, watch the games, and speak my mind about what I see or what I think I see. Boss don’t like that Lebron.” What a joke.

14. what? - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:14 PM

R u serious? What are you 12? Barkley absolutely deserves to be in the conversation and I don’t even like him.

15. Silent Few - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Chuck is being real about his comments on Labron. It’s just that the Fricks who love him so much that their eyes and ears are close to see the fact keep complaining of far-play. It was really stupid to talk about race at this point in time only because people are telling him about his crezy decision made by going on cable TV to make such a an announcement. I believe Labron and his ass kissers should shut up and worry about getting a ring maybe ten years from now.

16. ron - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM

lebron is now just a bigger ass than 2 months ago. he keeps saying people don like him because he went to miami. that is not true. he is the only person in the world that will not admit that it was the way he did it. he is in complete denial.

17. Nicholas - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Charles was one of my favorite players and I love him on TNT but will you please shut-up about the whole Lebron thing. You are starting to look like you have something against these guys. Believe me you are reducing your on stock with these comments. Just let it go and let the season begin.

18. leannie - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Oh, puhleeeeze! Race played a role???? Let’s call it what it was–a self-serving, jackass move! And, I wasn’t aware that self-centered stupidity was limited exclusively to one race. LeBron’s problem was(and is)that he was so coddled and spoiled in Cleveland that he thought he could do no wrong. He got his nose righteously, deservedly slapped. Cry me a river and save me the waltz!!!

19. weezilgirl - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Carlos’s Daddy, I agree with you. I remember the time when no one wanted to be under the basket when the mound of round’s big butt came down when he rebounded the ball.
    Charles was great. Still is. Has a big mouth. Love it.

20. st - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Barkley barely belongs on the list. I do not recall any great team match ups between him and Bird or Magic year to year. I do recall great team match ups with Bird and Magic for instance. Barkley made an impact on the league and cannot be ignored altogether though.
    LBJ is very much like Barkley in terms of being a great player without a great team. Its the 21st century and how teams are put together is different (see Boston Celtics acquisition of Garnett). The difference between the Garnett acquisition and LBJ is that there were no prime time specials and marketing extravaganzas like LBJs. I think we all agree that that was over the top – sell yourselves to Miami dude but the rest of us want to see you lose, like any normal fan would. Do you really think the entire nation will be riveted to your decision? Do you think you are a national hero or do you just want to sell yourself as one? Or that the LBJ brand is too pervasive and appealing to ignore no matter what team you root for? Seems arrogant and egotistical to me.
    After a few years of seeing him perform at a high level individually, and then give up in the playoffs, all I can do is yawn now. I will not follow the Heat because LBJ is a quitter. He quit on his team in the end and in the playoffs. No spin move or off balance jumper can make me be a fan anymore. LBJ is not ring material I think and there is a little thing called karma that will keep him from ever getting one I am afraid. More frustration on the way. Oh, I am sure I will from time to time be blown away by a driving layup he makes, but the name on the jersey does not mean much anymore.

21. Tom C - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Barkley said he WOULD have done it towards the end of his career (and he did). He, MJ & MJ basically just stated they would not have done it while still so young. Which I have to agree to… Magic was drafted into a dynasty in the making, MJ had to wait for Pippen to be drafted, & Barkley chanced rings with the Rockets when he got to the end. He was shipped to Phx because he was a dbag in his youth…

22. Arthur - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Not gamble! Go golfing!

23. Barry Is Back - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Here we go again with Prof Barkley. Now I get it- he is jealous of ESPN taking his spotlight about being the NBA GURU he is from TNT.
    Now I get it, he wished it was HIM covering Lebron and the HEAT all summer long.
    Barkley is just a selfish SLOB of a being. He likes the spotlight.He wants to control the discussion about LEBRON and DWADE and CBOSH. He feels irrelevant at this time of the NBA season.
    He always has a opinion about anything? While not take a pass on this one Barkley? Get over it!Give it up Charley BOY.

24. Will - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Barkley, for his size, is one of the best power forwards to play the game. His career wasn’t a bad movie. I’m not sure where you were from 1987 to 1996 but he was the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league for most of that period. Secondly, the race thing, I’m sure Lebron would even say is overblown. I don’t think Lebron ever meant to say he was hated do to race, only that it played “a part” in it. This has been misconstrued by many including maybe Barkley, but Charles’ point that Lebron has hurt himself this offseason remains valid and your hate filled comments are what’s truly disgraceful.

25. macowaco - Oct 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Carlos,
    Get a Life. Lebrat couldn’t make a pimple on Barkleys ass.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches