Sep 30, 2010, 10:08 AM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have waived Tim Thomas. He played just 18 games for the team last year and will not be with the team this season as he attends to a family situation that takes priority.
“I’m definitely planning on being back next year,” Thomas, a Paterson, N.J. native who spent one year at Villanova, said Wednesday by phone.
“The situation is that my wife [Tricia] has a few things that she has to take care of. Just the timing was bad. I don’t want people to think she’s on her deathbed or anything like that. She had some things to take care of and she just wanted me to be home [in Los Angeles] when she had to go through them.”
Thomas is a 13-year NBA veteran coming off knee surgery, but there are teams that would be interested in a floor-spreading big man who is a stable influence in the locker room. He’s going to have to prove he can still contribute, but if he can there is still a roster spot for him on a contender.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30