Sep 30, 2010, 11:30 PM EST
At the end of the season, Nate McMillan will be a free agent.
But McMillan is handling his business a little different than recent high-profile payers — he is being quiet. Make no mistake, he wants a new deal in Portland, but he wants to prove he deserves it by taking the Blazers to new heights this season.
McMillan and GM Rich Cho explained their thinking to the Portland Tribune.
“We’ve talked about it, and (another extension) is something we’ll evaluate toward the end of the season,” first-year General Manager Rich Cho says. “For now, he’s under contract.”
“There was some conversation (about an extension), but my decision was to not negotiate during the season,” McMillan says. “I’m totally fine with it.”
“I’m happy to be here,” he says. “I want to continue coaching here for a long time. That was my reason for coming to Portland” from Seattle in 2005.
“At the same time,” McMillan says. “I believe the organization should be in a position to look at where this team is going and make that decision. Me not talking about an extension, please don’t read into it that it’s a sign I don’t want to be here. I do.”
This could be a brilliant move by McMillan — he could prove invaluable and his stock and price tag would rise. Of course, the disaster scenario is out there, too.
In the end, it’s kind of refreshing to see someone let his work do the talking and see where the chips fall where they may.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)