Sep 30, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
George Karl and Carmelo Anthony finally had a sit down, face-to-face conversation. The two guys that, one way or another, will most determine just how far the Nuggets go this season.
“He didn’t try to work me over. He just wanted me to really focus in and told me that he’s looking for my leadership skills and what I’ve been doing in training camp he’s been satisfied with.”
“It was cool. It was my first time talking to him basically the whole summer face to face. We reflected back on last season. He told me what he was looking for… this season.”
These Nuggets could well be good, right in the middle of that second tier in the West (the Lakers have their own tier in that conference). This team made it to the Western Conference finals two seasons ago and that is a good goal for this team again. It’s what Karl has put out there.
But if the season becomes the “where is Melo going?” circus, then all bets are off. There will be a certain amount of it that is inescapable (wait until they travel to Madison Square Garden), but how much Anthony and the Nuggets let that in the locker room determines how this team plays out this season.
Well, at least until the Denver front office figures out what it wants and trades him. That’s assuming they can find a partner when they do get it together.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 1
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 29
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 7
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (66)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (45)