Sep 30, 2010, 9:14 AM EST
Another sit down with Chris Paul, another discussion of him loving New Orleans and not looking to leave it. Right now, anyway.
This time it was with ESPN’s Marc Stein, and Paul again did not discuss his trade demands from earlier in the summer.
“This city here, I love it,” Paul said. “And I don’t just say that. If somebody’s listening and we’re just talking one-on-one, they know how I feel about being here and the way this city has uplifted and embraced me.”
He seems sincere, but it is also a matter of timing. Right now, Paul has no real leverage because he has two years left on his deal. Next summer he will be in the same position Carmelo Anthony is now. He can say then “trade me or I’ll leave as a free agent.” (Unless Carmelo comes to New Orleans as a free agent… okay, let’s not start a new rumor, although CP3 did allegedly tell Melo New Orleans would be a great place to play).
Right now, Paul seems to want to see if Dell Demps can make the franchise a winner again, to really build something. But at the core of the issue is a proposed sale of the team from George Shinn to current minority owner Gary Chouest. Shinn has a reputation as a guy who will not spend, Chouest may change that. But right now the sale is stalled, as it has been since this summer.
What kind of changes Demps can really make with ownership up in the air remains to be seen. But he is getting the chance to prove to Paul that New Orleans can be a place he wins.
If not, the completion of next summer changes.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 0
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 3
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10