Sep 29, 2010, 1:23 PM EST
Personally, a trip to London and Barcelona sounds pretty good. I could go for one of those.
Phil Jackson? Not so much. Actually he might really enjoy such a trip if it was just him and Jeannie Buss, but in the middle of training camp? This is what he told ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Dave McMenamin.
“This training camp is kind of a bust,” Jackson said. “You just have to try to do the best you can in this training camp. We’ll try to incorporate these new players, embrace them, educate them in what we do [but] we don’t anticipate in the first two weeks that we’re going to gain any ground, so to speak.”
The Lakers are one of the NBA’s showpieces. They have Kobe Bryant, a couple shiny new Larry O’Brien trophies and a huge fan base overseas. Jackson is set in his ways — Jerry Buss would host Laker training camp in Hawaii every year if he could, but Jackson is good with El Segundo and the Lakers training facility. So El Segundo it is.
Except for the stops in Barcelona (to take on Pau Gasol’s old Barcelona squad) and London this year. Which makes it all a bust. I guess. Somehow I think the Lakers will be just fine, what with a returning veteran team running the same system and all. Just a hunch.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 4
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 26
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3