Sep 29, 2010, 6:01 PM EST
The Magic brought Jason Williams back to provide some extra depth at point guard, but he won’t be doing that for a while.
Williams is going to have arthroscopic left knee surgery tomorrow and will be out until right around the start of the season, Stan Van Gundy told the media today (as tweeted by Antonio Gonzalez of the Associated Press, via Orlando Pinstriped Post).
Not ideal, but not a huge loss. Jameer Nelson is the clear starter at point, Chris Duhon was brought in to be his backup. The Magic have been saying that Williams and Duhon are competing for the backup job, but after the way Williams played last season if he beats out Duhon the Magic have some bigger issues to deal with.
Williams should be back right around the time of the season opener, although he’ll have to play his way into game shape.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 26
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7