Sep 29, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
The Magic brought Jason Williams back to provide some extra depth at point guard, but he won’t be doing that for a while.
Williams is going to have arthroscopic left knee surgery tomorrow and will be out until right around the start of the season, Stan Van Gundy told the media today (as tweeted by Antonio Gonzalez of the Associated Press, via Orlando Pinstriped Post).
Not ideal, but not a huge loss. Jameer Nelson is the clear starter at point, Chris Duhon was brought in to be his backup. The Magic have been saying that Williams and Duhon are competing for the backup job, but after the way Williams played last season if he beats out Duhon the Magic have some bigger issues to deal with.
Williams should be back right around the time of the season opener, although he’ll have to play his way into game shape.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 2
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 36
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73