Sep 29, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Hey LeBron James, not only do you have to lead your just thrown-together team to an NBA title, can you average a triple-double for the season while doing it?
I mean, Oscar Robertson averaged that in 1962, and today’s game is pretty much exactly like that, right? You can totally do it. Hey, but no pressure (via the Miami Herald).
“I look up to Big O so much to be able to do that. Unbelievable feat. I don’t believe it will ever be matched. It’s very intriguing. You would love to make history, but it’s not a goal of mine. My goal is to be a triple threat, not to average a triple-double. I know I can do that.”
It’s not about the points, James averaged 29.7 last season and while that will come down some it will not be down to less than 10. Last season he averaged 8.6 assists and that could go up with these teammates around him. The 7.3 rebounds per game he averaged last season might be what trips up these plans (only nine players in the league averaged 10 rebounds or more per game last season).
Except they are not really plans. Take LeBron at his word with this — he wants to win first, and will sacrifice whatever stats it takes to get there. He gets that his legacy is on the line now and that anything short of titles will be viewed as a failure.
If James wanted to, if he focused on the personal, he could tie Robertson’s record. But that was not what Robertson was about. It’s not what James is about either. Whether he can get what he wants remains to be seen.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte