Timberwolves using Michael Beasley at small forward, they may want to ask Miami about that

Sep 28, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT

Beasley_heat_dunk.jpgReports out of Timberwolves camp say that Michael Beasley is playing the three spot, according to the Pioneer Press.

Which makes some sense when you think Kevin Love needs to be the starting power forward for Minnesota.

Except… Maybe the T-Wolves should call up the Heat and ask how Beasley worked out at the three for them.

The Heat used Beasley a lot at the three and found he was not really athletic enough to hang at that spot. The numbers bear this out. Beasley shot 40.3 percent (eFG%) while playing the three, but 47.3 percent at the four. The Pioneer press describes him as “smooth shooting” but he’s going to need to be smoother — he shot 32 percent from 10 to 15 feet last season and 39 percent from 16 feet out to the arc (and he took more of these long twos than he did shots at the rim). His PER was much better when he played the four. He was a much better defender at the four.

Get the picture? It wasn’t an accident the Heat moved him to play power forward more.

Beasley fools you because he’s really a tweener, so you think he can be a big three who is going to do great things. But so far, that has not been the case for him. Unless there is a change in his game, unless he finds the three inside him in Minnesota, this could be a failed experiment.

But then again, this is the Wolves, they should be doing some experimenting to find something that works. Maybe they need to give Beasley some room to run at the three. But they should be prepared for the same answer Miami got.

1. Michael Warren - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I like Michael Beasley at the 4. Just because he causes mathup problems for most 4s. He could play the 3 too. He’s athletic, strong, quick and has a good handle. He’ll be able to utilize his skills more at the 4 postition though. If he proves he can defend the perimeter, then he could start at the 3. Using him at the 4 would be easier for him on offense because he’s a matchup night-mare. He’s kind of like a Carmelo Anthony playing the 4. My starting lineup would be Flynn, Webster, Brewer, Beasley(Love), Darko.

2. Wolves Fan - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:39 PM

My guess is they want to make sure he gets more playing time and see if he can play at the 3 while Love plays the 4 spot. The fact is that Love needs to be a starter. However, I don’t know that I would write him off yet because he has played poor for 1 year. I mean he is still young. Not saying he will be the next Melo or anything but we’ll see. I’ll throw out my starting lineup. Ridnour, Brewer, Beasley, Love, and Darko. With Flynn, Webster and Johnson off the bench

3. Michael Bangura - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM

What kind of crap is this Beasley is gonna dominate

4. Wolves Fan - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Yes I love the confidence.

5. Wolves Fan - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Yes I love the confidence.

6. jaime - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

What is also awfully stupid by the T-Wolves is, not only did they draft a small forward (Wesley Johnson), but they traded for one as well (Martell Webster). Might as well put Beasley there too so they all have to split time and no growth happens.

7. Wolves Fan - Sep 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I thought that too but in reality I think that maybe they will play Johnson at the SG position. Mostly speculation though.

8. Robby - Sep 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM

It isn’t easy playing basketball and smoking. I did try this back when I was young myself. You get winded really fast. It would be a lot easier to play down low. Stop smoking, get your lungs in shape and then playing out on the wing gets a ton easier. Seems to me…he is getting in pretty darn good shape running with the team. I am optomistic that he will be able to surprise a lot of people. Darko is a very good passer. The rest of the team moves very well. If they gel…they are going to be a tough team to beat. Not a night off…like last years team was. Their nightly defensive intensity will be the key.
    Go Wolves!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches