Sep 28, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
While everyone was looking at Andrew Boguts’ elbow, another Bucks injury slipped under the radar.
Corey Maggette, who is counted on to be the scoring punch off the bench for Milwaukee (if not the starting small forward) underwent ankle surgery in July and may miss the entire preseason recovering, according to the Journal Times.
“I can do some things but not of the caliber I’m used to,” Maggette said during the team’s media day at the Cousins Center. “It’s going to be a slow process.”
Asked if he would play in any of the team’s eight preseason games, Maggette said, “probably not.”
Maggette had torn peroneal tendons, which are the tendons, which run along your ankle bone and prevent your ankle from turning inside too far. They help stabilize the ankle. So you want them in good working order when playing basketball. Or walking.
This likely means Carlos Delfino is the starting three for the Bucks, and Maggette may or may not be his backup opening night. But he should be backing him up not long after that.
The Bucks need Maggette — they were dead last in the league in the ratio of free throws to field goals. Meaning they didn’t draw a lot of fouls driving the lane. That is what Maggette specializes in. He averaged nearly 20 points a game last season and the Bucks could use the points and the trips to the charity stripe.
They just have to wait a little longer to get them than thought.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)