Sep 28, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
While everyone was looking at Andrew Boguts’ elbow, another Bucks injury slipped under the radar.
Corey Maggette, who is counted on to be the scoring punch off the bench for Milwaukee (if not the starting small forward) underwent ankle surgery in July and may miss the entire preseason recovering, according to the Journal Times.
“I can do some things but not of the caliber I’m used to,” Maggette said during the team’s media day at the Cousins Center. “It’s going to be a slow process.”
Asked if he would play in any of the team’s eight preseason games, Maggette said, “probably not.”
Maggette had torn peroneal tendons, which are the tendons, which run along your ankle bone and prevent your ankle from turning inside too far. They help stabilize the ankle. So you want them in good working order when playing basketball. Or walking.
This likely means Carlos Delfino is the starting three for the Bucks, and Maggette may or may not be his backup opening night. But he should be backing him up not long after that.
The Bucks need Maggette — they were dead last in the league in the ratio of free throws to field goals. Meaning they didn’t draw a lot of fouls driving the lane. That is what Maggette specializes in. He averaged nearly 20 points a game last season and the Bucks could use the points and the trips to the charity stripe.
They just have to wait a little longer to get them than thought.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11