Sep 27, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
Erick Dampier made a decision, he wanted to take his backup center talents to South Beach, like everyone else. But for reasons not totally clear, Miami didn’t want him (Damps is not a great center, but he’s better than anyone they’ve got).
So he’s taking his time making another decision. He told Sam Amick of FanHouse he’s narrowing it down.
“I’ve talked to Milwaukee, Toronto, Portland, and one other team,” he said after confirming talks with the Rockets as well. “There’s no one in the No. 1 spot. I’m not in a rush. I just want to find the perfect fit and give myself an opportunity to compete for a championship.”
If a ring is really the goal, you can see why the Rockets are in the mix — they are a popular darkhorse pick by league pundits, and if Damps minutes can help keep Yao Ming healthy they are closer. However, Portland is right there and has more room for growth. They and Oklahoma City have positioned themselves as the teams to beat in the West after the Lakers step back (whenever that happens).
Dampier is in no rush.
“There’s different scenarios, different teams every day,” he said. “There’s no timeline. As of a couple days ago, a couple other teams had reached out and are wanting to talk to me, so we’ll probably go do interviews and sometime after that make a decision.”
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85