Sep 26, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
Last season we seemed never to type “Warriors” and “defense” in the same sentence, unless the words “not playing any” were included.
Things are different now. Brand new coach Keith Smart has come into Warriors camp preaching defense. It’s part of the big changes with the Warriors — roster changes, owner changes, logo changes and more.
But defense tops the list of changes, as Steph Curry told the Oakland Tribune.
“Keith Smart is definitely defensive-minded,” point guard Stephen Curry said. “I know a lot of teams preach defense in the offseason, especially teams coming off a bad season. But (defense) will probably play a little bigger role now.”
The Warriors are still going to run — they need to, they have the personnel for it. But gunning and little regard for defense that Don Nelson brought to the team the last few years is gone, in its place a more balanced focus.
Warriors’ fans, we’re not sure how good they will be this year, but things are getting better. There is reason for hope.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47