Sep 26, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
Last season we seemed never to type “Warriors” and “defense” in the same sentence, unless the words “not playing any” were included.
Things are different now. Brand new coach Keith Smart has come into Warriors camp preaching defense. It’s part of the big changes with the Warriors — roster changes, owner changes, logo changes and more.
But defense tops the list of changes, as Steph Curry told the Oakland Tribune.
“Keith Smart is definitely defensive-minded,” point guard Stephen Curry said. “I know a lot of teams preach defense in the offseason, especially teams coming off a bad season. But (defense) will probably play a little bigger role now.”
The Warriors are still going to run — they need to, they have the personnel for it. But gunning and little regard for defense that Don Nelson brought to the team the last few years is gone, in its place a more balanced focus.
Warriors’ fans, we’re not sure how good they will be this year, but things are getting better. There is reason for hope.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 5
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 10
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 1
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27