Sep 26, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
Last season we seemed never to type “Warriors” and “defense” in the same sentence, unless the words “not playing any” were included.
Things are different now. Brand new coach Keith Smart has come into Warriors camp preaching defense. It’s part of the big changes with the Warriors — roster changes, owner changes, logo changes and more.
But defense tops the list of changes, as Steph Curry told the Oakland Tribune.
“Keith Smart is definitely defensive-minded,” point guard Stephen Curry said. “I know a lot of teams preach defense in the offseason, especially teams coming off a bad season. But (defense) will probably play a little bigger role now.”
The Warriors are still going to run — they need to, they have the personnel for it. But gunning and little regard for defense that Don Nelson brought to the team the last few years is gone, in its place a more balanced focus.
Warriors’ fans, we’re not sure how good they will be this year, but things are getting better. There is reason for hope.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70