Sep 26, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
Last season we seemed never to type “Warriors” and “defense” in the same sentence, unless the words “not playing any” were included.
Things are different now. Brand new coach Keith Smart has come into Warriors camp preaching defense. It’s part of the big changes with the Warriors — roster changes, owner changes, logo changes and more.
But defense tops the list of changes, as Steph Curry told the Oakland Tribune.
“Keith Smart is definitely defensive-minded,” point guard Stephen Curry said. “I know a lot of teams preach defense in the offseason, especially teams coming off a bad season. But (defense) will probably play a little bigger role now.”
The Warriors are still going to run — they need to, they have the personnel for it. But gunning and little regard for defense that Don Nelson brought to the team the last few years is gone, in its place a more balanced focus.
Warriors’ fans, we’re not sure how good they will be this year, but things are getting better. There is reason for hope.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9