Sep 26, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
Last season we seemed never to type “Warriors” and “defense” in the same sentence, unless the words “not playing any” were included.
Things are different now. Brand new coach Keith Smart has come into Warriors camp preaching defense. It’s part of the big changes with the Warriors — roster changes, owner changes, logo changes and more.
But defense tops the list of changes, as Steph Curry told the Oakland Tribune.
“Keith Smart is definitely defensive-minded,” point guard Stephen Curry said. “I know a lot of teams preach defense in the offseason, especially teams coming off a bad season. But (defense) will probably play a little bigger role now.”
The Warriors are still going to run — they need to, they have the personnel for it. But gunning and little regard for defense that Don Nelson brought to the team the last few years is gone, in its place a more balanced focus.
Warriors’ fans, we’re not sure how good they will be this year, but things are getting better. There is reason for hope.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18