Sep 25, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett is still the beating heart and key player for the Celtics.
Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are crucial. Rajon Rondo’s importance grows daily. Kendrick Perkins and the O’Neals matter in the middle. Donkey and Shrek matter off the bench.
But last season, Garnett’s health determined the Celtics fate. Which is why this quote from Danny Ainge (at ESPNBoston.com) should have Celtics fans smiling.
“I think Kevin needed some rest, some time off, and he took it, but he’s ready for camp,” said Ainge. “He’s in much better shape than he was last year in training camp. I think that KG got better as the year went on last season and we saw him moving much better in the playoffs than in the regular season.”
If Garnett is healthy — if all the key parts of the Celtics are healthy — we saw last year what this team can do. It can win a title. It is certainly on the top tier with the Lakers, Heat and Magic.
KG is the key. Always has been in Boston. And if he is ready to roll, so are the Celtics.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47