Sep 24, 2010, 6:43 PM EDT
Erick Damper will not be taking his talents to South Beach, although why remains a mystery.
The Miami Heat have said they have stepping away from the race to bring in center free agent Erick Dampier.
Heat pass on adding free agent center Erick Dampier to the roster.
Heat gave strong consideration to Dampier, but MIA’s numbers at center (4) and comfort with roster as is were determining factors.
That, certainly, is the official line, but it is a bit curious.
Dampier is better than any of the four centers the Heat have on their roster (which is not a good statement) and Pat Riley is trying to build a winner. Joel Anthony may be the best center they have, he is 6’9″, and after that there is Big Z. But the Heat think they can get as much out of their other centers as they could Dampier, just by playing to their needs at the time.
Those close to the team say Riley backed out of the deal.
The other team considered a frontrunner for Dampier’s services was the Houston Rockets, who apparently now are in the drivers seat. However, apparently the Milwaukee Bucks have entered the bidding, even though they can only offer a veteran’s minimum deal of $1.4 million.
Dampier was waived by the Charlotte Bobcats in a cost-saving measure.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18