Sep 24, 2010, 6:43 PM EST
Erick Damper will not be taking his talents to South Beach, although why remains a mystery.
The Miami Heat have said they have stepping away from the race to bring in center free agent Erick Dampier.
Heat pass on adding free agent center Erick Dampier to the roster.
Heat gave strong consideration to Dampier, but MIA’s numbers at center (4) and comfort with roster as is were determining factors.
That, certainly, is the official line, but it is a bit curious.
Dampier is better than any of the four centers the Heat have on their roster (which is not a good statement) and Pat Riley is trying to build a winner. Joel Anthony may be the best center they have, he is 6’9″, and after that there is Big Z. But the Heat think they can get as much out of their other centers as they could Dampier, just by playing to their needs at the time.
Those close to the team say Riley backed out of the deal.
The other team considered a frontrunner for Dampier’s services was the Houston Rockets, who apparently now are in the drivers seat. However, apparently the Milwaukee Bucks have entered the bidding, even though they can only offer a veteran’s minimum deal of $1.4 million.
Dampier was waived by the Charlotte Bobcats in a cost-saving measure.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8