Sep 23, 2010, 11:02 AM EST
We have a trade!
New Orleans has traded Darius Songalia and Craig Brackins to Philly for Willie Green and Jason Smith, league source tells Y!
This is not a huge move for anybody, but it may say a few things.
Willie Green seems the guy to use as a backup point guard or two guard, behind Chris Paul and Marcus Thornton — he is not spectacular but he gave the Sixers a solid 21 minutes and 8.7 points per game last season. That’s not what Sixers fans will tell you, however. They were really, really down on him. In the way only Philly fans can be.
No Willie Green in Philly likely means more minutes for Evan Turner. They are banking on this guy.
Jason Smith will be entering his third hear in the league as a somewhat offensively limited big man (7’0″ off the bench). Not a bad buy for the Hornets to have around after their trades this summer.
What the Sixers get out of all this is less clear. Songalia gives the Sixers a journeyman forward they can bring off the bench and get some solid minutes from. He averaged 19 minutes and 7 points a game for the Hornets last season.
Sixers president Rod Thorn was high on Brackins, which is why he is now in Philly. Brackins has now been traded twice without ever setting foot in an official NBA practice, He was drafted No. 21 by the Thunder then traded on draft night to New Orleans as part of the Cole Aldrich deal.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 5
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 16
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7