Sep 23, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
The Magic don’t really need another center right now — the Dwight Howard guy is working out pretty well — but they took a smart risk drafting that other guy out of Kentucky, Daniel Orton.
But it is going to be a while until we see if that risk pays off — Orton may need knee surgery. That is what Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld is hearing.
Magic rookie Daniel Orton could be facing an uphill climb, word is he is still having knee issues that could require surgery
That kid has had a string of bad injury luck.
Orlando, however, can afford to be patient. Obviously, they have Howard. But also on the roster is Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass and Malik Allen.
Orton is big and very athletic — that is a hard to come by combo. That’s the kind of guy deep, contending teams should take risks on because they can be patient. Hopefully if there is surgery it is the last of the string of health issues for Orton.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 2
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 38
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 6
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 14
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 28
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5