Sep 23, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
The Magic don’t really need another center right now — the Dwight Howard guy is working out pretty well — but they took a smart risk drafting that other guy out of Kentucky, Daniel Orton.
But it is going to be a while until we see if that risk pays off — Orton may need knee surgery. That is what Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld is hearing.
Magic rookie Daniel Orton could be facing an uphill climb, word is he is still having knee issues that could require surgery
That kid has had a string of bad injury luck.
Orlando, however, can afford to be patient. Obviously, they have Howard. But also on the roster is Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass and Malik Allen.
Orton is big and very athletic — that is a hard to come by combo. That’s the kind of guy deep, contending teams should take risks on because they can be patient. Hopefully if there is surgery it is the last of the string of health issues for Orton.
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 5
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)