Sep 23, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Magic don’t really need another center right now — the Dwight Howard guy is working out pretty well — but they took a smart risk drafting that other guy out of Kentucky, Daniel Orton.
But it is going to be a while until we see if that risk pays off — Orton may need knee surgery. That is what Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld is hearing.
Magic rookie Daniel Orton could be facing an uphill climb, word is he is still having knee issues that could require surgery
That kid has had a string of bad injury luck.
Orlando, however, can afford to be patient. Obviously, they have Howard. But also on the roster is Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass and Malik Allen.
Orton is big and very athletic — that is a hard to come by combo. That’s the kind of guy deep, contending teams should take risks on because they can be patient. Hopefully if there is surgery it is the last of the string of health issues for Orton.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2