Sep 23, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Magic don’t really need another center right now — the Dwight Howard guy is working out pretty well — but they took a smart risk drafting that other guy out of Kentucky, Daniel Orton.
But it is going to be a while until we see if that risk pays off — Orton may need knee surgery. That is what Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld is hearing.
Magic rookie Daniel Orton could be facing an uphill climb, word is he is still having knee issues that could require surgery
That kid has had a string of bad injury luck.
Orlando, however, can afford to be patient. Obviously, they have Howard. But also on the roster is Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass and Malik Allen.
Orton is big and very athletic — that is a hard to come by combo. That’s the kind of guy deep, contending teams should take risks on because they can be patient. Hopefully if there is surgery it is the last of the string of health issues for Orton.
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 31
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 45
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 9
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 24
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11