Kobe Bryant remains top selling NBA jersey in China

Sep 23, 2010, 12:05 PM EST

Thumbnail image for Bryant_airplane.jpgKobe is big all over the globe.

That includes China, where for the fourth year in a row he tops the league in jersey sales, according to the league.

Rounding out the top five are LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, and Derrick Rose. The next five are Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Deron Williams, Ray Allen and Kevin Durant.

This is the first time Yao Ming has not been in the top 10. He is coming off a season where he did not play due to his foot injury.

Kobe has a big presence in China, having made trips there in the summer for years now, promotional efforts with Nike. Kobe also has a separate charitable foundation he set up just to donate money to causes in China.

Plus, culturally, winning titles matters. It is what keeps Kobe ahead of LeBron in China. For now.

The NBA will be bringing its game to China for the first time this preseason, with Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets taking on the New Jersey Nets in Beijing on Oct. 13, then again at the Guangzhou International Sports Arena on Oct. 16.

1. SC400 - Sep 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM

That’s my boy always donimating the world. We Hate LEBRON
    Here in CALIFORNIA… KOBE all over you succerrrrr…

2. Laker Fan - Sep 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Immature comments, grow-up!

3. Sal - Sep 23, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Seriously SC400? I’m with LakerFan here, Anyways, Kobe is the real King of the NBA and deserves China’s love. After all, The Chinese saw the talents of Kobe and how he brought Gold for the USA team. He’s also doing the back to back thing, and he’s been doing it for a long time. 14 years of NBA action and it looks like he can be the best at what he does for another 3 or 4 more years. Cheers to the NBA real King. Kobe.

4. Lakernut - Sep 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Immature alright. Can’t even spell…

5. Erick - Sep 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I honestly think that Kobe will be better this year, and I hope he wins his 6 champs… I’m also from Cali and I got to tell you that even radio stations talk bad about Lebron, I did not care about him in the pass but the way he left cleveland was wrong there for I kind of hate him now, he broke the whole state heart. F U Lebron.

6. corinne bailey rae tickets - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I am totally agree with abive the comments. Keep it up….

7. Omnius - Sep 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM

That’s really lame that the Lakers won’t be going to China to play a game instead of the Nets, means the Lakers will play their game in Europe. Considering how popular Kobe has been in China it’s stupid the NBA didn’t schedule the Lakers for a Chinese game. Still it’s nice to see Kobe as the most popular NBA player in the most populous country in the world. The Chinese know that LeBoring James is nothing but the King of Choke and not championship material. Kobe Bryant is the greatest basketball player and the Repeat World Champion Lakers will Threepeat next June!

8. 25since85 - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM

SC400, this is SPORTS! Go enjoy some commercials while we focus on OUR team. COMPETITIVE, INSTINCTIVELY FUELED, AND THE PERFECT MODEL FOR UNDERSTANDING SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. Go enjoy some commercials while we focus on OUR team. I can’t even express my love for Kobe’s athletic ability and work ethic… I was just in LA over the weekend, and while having lunch at The Grove saw someone wearing a KOBE shirt that said it all… if anyone can inform me pleeeeeeeeease!!! do.. I NEED this…
    OVRLK KOBEY SHIRT ?
    (I found the pic on google, but the site doesn’t seem to have a shopping cart) KOBE + Y = KOBEY = OBEY KOBE?!?!?!?! I can’t wait for this season!!!!!!! 6 rings baby!!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches