Sep 23, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Kobe is big all over the globe.
That includes China, where for the fourth year in a row he tops the league in jersey sales, according to the league.
Rounding out the top five are LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, and Derrick Rose. The next five are Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Deron Williams, Ray Allen and Kevin Durant.
This is the first time Yao Ming has not been in the top 10. He is coming off a season where he did not play due to his foot injury.
Kobe has a big presence in China, having made trips there in the summer for years now, promotional efforts with Nike. Kobe also has a separate charitable foundation he set up just to donate money to causes in China.
Plus, culturally, winning titles matters. It is what keeps Kobe ahead of LeBron in China. For now.
The NBA will be bringing its game to China for the first time this preseason, with Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets taking on the New Jersey Nets in Beijing on Oct. 13, then again at the Guangzhou International Sports Arena on Oct. 16.
- Klay Thompson should not have been allowed to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 3
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 13
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 12
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 73