Joakim Noah doesn't want to be traded

Sep 23, 2010, 9:26 AM EST

noah_tired.jpgBe part of a powerhouse team that could be very good in Chicago or be part of a rebuilding process in Denver where you will forever be “the guy we traded the best player in franchise history for.”

Shockingly, Joakim Noah is partial to the first option.

Still he went to the old but true “it’s not something I can control” cliché when he talked to ESPN Chicago.

“It’s part of the business,” he said after a charity event at a local elementary school on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s something that happens in sports and right now I just got to get ready and control the things that I can control as a player, and that’s getting ready for the season. As far as I know I’m still a [member] of the Bulls today.”

“I understand what kind of caliber of player Carmelo Anthony is,” he said. “I’m trying to stay positive. I’ve had some talks with [Bulls GM] Gar [Forman] and [John Paxson]. I’m really excited about the upcoming season. … I can’t control what happens in the situation, I think a lot of these questions that [media members] are asking me, you guys should ask the people that make the decisions.”

So far the Bulls are refusing to put Noah in any deal for Anthony. They’re doing the right thing.

1. sleazye76 - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM

“So far the Bulls are refusing to put Noah in any deal for Anthony.”
    I’m not saying give up Noah AND Deng, but the Bulls have a much better shot at a championship with Anthony than Noah(assuming you can sign him long term), it would be stupid not to explore the possibilities.
    Deng is not a terrible defender, if the deal can get done with players not named Boozer, Rose, Deng, and whatever draft picks the Nuggets want why not at least talk about it?
    This is the team that reportedly would not come off a young Luol Deng to get Kobe Bryant a few years ago, now that they have done nothing in the playoffs since Jordon I wonder if they would reconsider that.

2. Chris - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Noah being traded is a MEDIA CREATION. New Jersey isn’t giving up Brooke Lopez, so the Bulls don’t have to give up Joakim Noah. At the end of the day, Deng, Gibson, Johnson, Picks and Cash is the best offer Denver is going to get, unless a third team, like Sacramento (Dalembert/Casspi), decides to help a Melo trade along. Deng and Gibson are PROVEN guys that would be productive, on and off the court, for Denver.

3. Dirk Simmons - Sep 23, 2010 at 11:18 AM

First of all, Deng has to be part of any deal for Carmelo in order to match salary. But that’s what makes this deal even tougher. I would trade Noah for Melo in a New York minute if it was a straight up deal, but we’d also have to give up Deng (another very capable starter in the NBA, who is often unfairly criticized because of his awful contract), Gibson (great bench guy that could start someday), maybe James Johnson, and a first-round pick. Gosh, you’ve lost two starters, two bench guys, and a first-rounder. To do all that, you have to be sure those players won’t be as productive as Melo. They might be, they might not be. I’m not sure. I just feel awful for Noah though. You can clearly see he is torn up over this and wants to stay here forever. He’s probably thinking that there’s no way the Bulls can not go after Melo. Man, I really like this guy.

4. Sguy2130 - Sep 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM

The only people that can stomach to look at the cavemans’s mug on a regular basis are Chicago and Florida fans. He’s not going anywhere…

5. Zachariah Blott - Sep 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM

The Bulls will be in a much worse position with Melo around than Noah, let alone if they gave up Noah AND Deng. Noah comes out MUCH better on most of the advanced impact stats, and defensive big men who are capable scorers are far more important to a squad that is focused on defense and doesn’t need a 30 ppg #1 scorer. Also, Melo’s presence would slow down Rose’s progression. Bad news all around if the Bulls give up Noah and Deng.
    Here’s a comparison between bigs (9 times out of 10 the best position to solidify) using those advanced stats, and you’ll see Noah ranks out quite well based on what he does for the team already.

6. johnmaine - Sep 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM

MSNBC sports columnist Mike Celizic passed away. Great piece on him: http://bit.ly/bNhPDd

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches