Sep 21, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
Either the Rockets or the Heat are about to get a nice boost to their title hopes. That or the Hawks or Nuggets will get a nice boost to their front lines.
Erick Dampier worked out for the Houston Rockets Monday and met with coach Rick Adelman, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Dampier will do the same things with the Miami Heat.
The Rockets and Heat seem to make the most sense.
In Miami he likely would be the starting center on a team that just needs some consistent play in the middle to remove one of the few questions about it and its title chances. While Damps is not a dominant center, he is solid, and there would be depth behind him with Joel Anthony and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
However, the Heat can only offer the minimum, $1.4 million.
Houston can offer more, about $2 million. Dampier would come off the bench behind Yao Ming, but with the Rockets trying to lessen Yao’s injury likelihood they are limiting his minutes — 24 a game and no back-to-backs. There are a lot of minutes to be had on a team many consider a dark horse threat in the West.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43