Sep 20, 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
With the thin front line USA Basketball this summer — a lot of top names said no then Amar’e Stoudemire, Brook Lopez and David Lee couldn’t play — Jerry Colangelo was calling everyone and anyone. JaVale McGee got multiple chances to make the team. Lamar Odom was the starting center. They were looking around.
“Cameroon (where his great-father is born) and Sweden (land of his mother) also called me,” Joakim Noah said to the Journal du Dimanche. “I was pleased to be contacted by Team USA, which searched valid centers. It could have given me the possibility to play with great players. But I repeat it: I want to play with France, it’s my dream.”
“That would make my great-mother really happy and I want my family to be proud. This summer, I was in a difficult situation. But I’m coming next year and I will use my blue jersey.”
Next summer France will play in a qualifying tournament for the 2012 Olympics in London. In Turkey, France was without a number of NBA players — including Tony Parker — who will make that team much more formidable in future events.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31