Sep 20, 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
With the thin front line USA Basketball this summer — a lot of top names said no then Amar’e Stoudemire, Brook Lopez and David Lee couldn’t play — Jerry Colangelo was calling everyone and anyone. JaVale McGee got multiple chances to make the team. Lamar Odom was the starting center. They were looking around.
“Cameroon (where his great-father is born) and Sweden (land of his mother) also called me,” Joakim Noah said to the Journal du Dimanche. “I was pleased to be contacted by Team USA, which searched valid centers. It could have given me the possibility to play with great players. But I repeat it: I want to play with France, it’s my dream.”
“That would make my great-mother really happy and I want my family to be proud. This summer, I was in a difficult situation. But I’m coming next year and I will use my blue jersey.”
Next summer France will play in a qualifying tournament for the 2012 Olympics in London. In Turkey, France was without a number of NBA players — including Tony Parker — who will make that team much more formidable in future events.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 61
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32