Sep 20, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
Did anybody really buy the whole “Shaq v. Kobe” feud was marketing. Oh, Shaquille O’Neal is smart enough to know how to make these things marketable, but like ancient myths the elaborate stories built up around some kernel of truth.
Then when Kobe got ring number five last June and was quick to say he was “one ahead of Shaq” you could feel how much he enjoyed that.
“The minute I heard Kobe [Bryant] say he had one more ring than Shaq, I said to Danny [Ainge], ‘Let’s go get Shaq,’ and it happened,” said [Celtics primary owner Wyc] Grousbeck.
“This is a very, very proud bunch of guys, the champions from ’08. And now with Jermaine and Shaq and Delonte, who haven’t been champions with us, this could be a good group. We’ve got huge challenges but we reloaded this summer. We really want banner No. 18.”
How much the aging Shaq and his defensive freelancing really helps the Celtics remains to be seen. He (and Jermaine O’Neal) provides some dept and offense along the front line, if everyone can stay healthy and not regress too much.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15