Sep 20, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
Ed Davis injured his knee late last week, and while the injury wasn’t quite as bad as it could have been, Davis is looking at another physical setback that will halt his basketball progress. According to Matt Devlin, play-by-play man for the Toronto Raptors, Davis had surgery today to repair a torn meniscus, and will be sidelined for six weeks.
A broken bone in Davis’ wrist ended his sophomore season at UNC in mid-February. He’s since recovered, but now Davis will have a new challenge to overcome.
Davis is quite talented, but he was already going to need some time to develop both his frame and his skills before making a serious run at NBA relevance. He also already had his share of doubters (as evidenced by his slight draft day
slip), and without a chance to properly acquaint himself with the NBA
season from the get-go, it may take him even longer to prove them wrong.
This tear will likely delay that process, and could potentially do even more damage. The severity of the tear will determine both the exact timetable and the likelihood of any lingering effects, but something to keep in mind: meniscus tears have been very problematic for both Gilbert Arenas and Andrew Bynum in the past.
In all likelihood, Davis will go through his rehab and recovery without incident, but the tear’s potential impact still looms. Here’s to hoping the rook’s lift and career lift-off aren’t hindered.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31