Sep 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
As the Pistons get ready for training camp in a year they hope will be considerably better than 2009-2010, Pistons.com reports that they’re looking at adding a big man for camp.
“We’ve talked about maybe adding one person to training camp and we’re
discussing that and we’re going to make a decision by the end of this
week,” he said, “by (Friday), actually.”
Oh, so one of those reasonable value contracts for players that due to talent or age are probably going to have a hard time making an impact, right? You mean unlike Ben Wallace, Charlie Villanueva, Chris Wilcox, DeJuan Summers, and Jason Maxiell? Just kidding, Ben Wallace played pretty well last year and Maxiell still has upside. Greg Monroe looked terrific at summer league. And hey, for the money they’re paying Charlie Villanueva, he’s got to be pretty good, right? Right? Guys?
Expect a veteran guy to join the Pistons, though Dumars hasn’t shown himself intractably against signing D-League fringe players with upside, which might be the best option, particularly if they don’t intend to hang on to him past training camp.
Another thing. Dumars dropped the following soundbite about Tracy McGrady:
“If we have any percentage that’s close to a healthy Tracy McGrady, we’ve added an impact player,” Dumars said. “There is a certain mystery to how this is going to unfold. We’re hoping for the best. What we’ve seen so far has been excellent.”
So they’ve got that going for them, which is nice. In actuality, the interview did paint a picture of what you want to see if you’re a Detroit fan. Dumars wants competition for floor time, competitiveness, and a swift move away from the performance they had last season. It’s good to see Dumars not being willing to stand for 27 wins, injuries or not.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 58
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7