Sep 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
As the Pistons get ready for training camp in a year they hope will be considerably better than 2009-2010, Pistons.com reports that they’re looking at adding a big man for camp.
“We’ve talked about maybe adding one person to training camp and we’re
discussing that and we’re going to make a decision by the end of this
week,” he said, “by (Friday), actually.”
Oh, so one of those reasonable value contracts for players that due to talent or age are probably going to have a hard time making an impact, right? You mean unlike Ben Wallace, Charlie Villanueva, Chris Wilcox, DeJuan Summers, and Jason Maxiell? Just kidding, Ben Wallace played pretty well last year and Maxiell still has upside. Greg Monroe looked terrific at summer league. And hey, for the money they’re paying Charlie Villanueva, he’s got to be pretty good, right? Right? Guys?
Expect a veteran guy to join the Pistons, though Dumars hasn’t shown himself intractably against signing D-League fringe players with upside, which might be the best option, particularly if they don’t intend to hang on to him past training camp.
Another thing. Dumars dropped the following soundbite about Tracy McGrady:
“If we have any percentage that’s close to a healthy Tracy McGrady, we’ve added an impact player,” Dumars said. “There is a certain mystery to how this is going to unfold. We’re hoping for the best. What we’ve seen so far has been excellent.”
So they’ve got that going for them, which is nice. In actuality, the interview did paint a picture of what you want to see if you’re a Detroit fan. Dumars wants competition for floor time, competitiveness, and a swift move away from the performance they had last season. It’s good to see Dumars not being willing to stand for 27 wins, injuries or not.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37