Sep 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
As the Pistons get ready for training camp in a year they hope will be considerably better than 2009-2010, Pistons.com reports that they’re looking at adding a big man for camp.
“We’ve talked about maybe adding one person to training camp and we’re
discussing that and we’re going to make a decision by the end of this
week,” he said, “by (Friday), actually.”
Oh, so one of those reasonable value contracts for players that due to talent or age are probably going to have a hard time making an impact, right? You mean unlike Ben Wallace, Charlie Villanueva, Chris Wilcox, DeJuan Summers, and Jason Maxiell? Just kidding, Ben Wallace played pretty well last year and Maxiell still has upside. Greg Monroe looked terrific at summer league. And hey, for the money they’re paying Charlie Villanueva, he’s got to be pretty good, right? Right? Guys?
Expect a veteran guy to join the Pistons, though Dumars hasn’t shown himself intractably against signing D-League fringe players with upside, which might be the best option, particularly if they don’t intend to hang on to him past training camp.
Another thing. Dumars dropped the following soundbite about Tracy McGrady:
“If we have any percentage that’s close to a healthy Tracy McGrady, we’ve added an impact player,” Dumars said. “There is a certain mystery to how this is going to unfold. We’re hoping for the best. What we’ve seen so far has been excellent.”
So they’ve got that going for them, which is nice. In actuality, the interview did paint a picture of what you want to see if you’re a Detroit fan. Dumars wants competition for floor time, competitiveness, and a swift move away from the performance they had last season. It’s good to see Dumars not being willing to stand for 27 wins, injuries or not.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 20
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64