Sep 17, 2010, 4:55 PM EST
You now it is the slowest time of year when we have daily updates on Erick Dampier. Nonetheless, here we go:
Dampier is finalizing his list for meetings and it is expected to include the Miami Heat, Houston Rockets and — the newcomer to the party — the Atlanta Hawks, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Dampier gave the Mavericks 6 and 7 last season in 23 minutes a game, and this season should be playing at or near the league minimum. Not usually the kind of guy who draws this kind of interest, but Damps would really help the three teams above.
Miami has about 48 guys coming to camp who can play center, but they don’t have the kind of classic big man they want to match up with Dwight Howard and the O’Neals in Boston. Dampier would give the Heat even more versatility and options.
The Rockets are trying to keep Yao Ming’s minutes down — capped at 24 a game to start the season — in an effort to keep him healthy. That means they could use another big man, and Dampier and Brad Miller could fill that role together. Also, the Rockets can offer more money than the Heat, by about $600,000 a season.
The Hawks got pushed around by Howard in the playoffs and finding a big man to help remedy that was one of the offseason goals. Damps is no Howard, but it would allow Al Horford to play some four, which is a good idea.
Dampier has not set a timetable for his decision, but smart money says it should come next week so everything is set before camps open at the end of the month.
Dampier is available because he was waived by the Bobcats this week, saving them his $13 million contract.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 2
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 10
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 10
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18