Sep 17, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
You now it is the slowest time of year when we have daily updates on Erick Dampier. Nonetheless, here we go:
Dampier is finalizing his list for meetings and it is expected to include the Miami Heat, Houston Rockets and — the newcomer to the party — the Atlanta Hawks, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Dampier gave the Mavericks 6 and 7 last season in 23 minutes a game, and this season should be playing at or near the league minimum. Not usually the kind of guy who draws this kind of interest, but Damps would really help the three teams above.
Miami has about 48 guys coming to camp who can play center, but they don’t have the kind of classic big man they want to match up with Dwight Howard and the O’Neals in Boston. Dampier would give the Heat even more versatility and options.
The Rockets are trying to keep Yao Ming’s minutes down — capped at 24 a game to start the season — in an effort to keep him healthy. That means they could use another big man, and Dampier and Brad Miller could fill that role together. Also, the Rockets can offer more money than the Heat, by about $600,000 a season.
The Hawks got pushed around by Howard in the playoffs and finding a big man to help remedy that was one of the offseason goals. Damps is no Howard, but it would allow Al Horford to play some four, which is a good idea.
Dampier has not set a timetable for his decision, but smart money says it should come next week so everything is set before camps open at the end of the month.
Dampier is available because he was waived by the Bobcats this week, saving them his $13 million contract.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16