Sep 17, 2010, 8:37 AM EDT
It’s the latest diet craze — Shaquille O’Neal has said he is on “the Nash diet.” Jared Dudley has asked about it. Bloggers are trying it. Pretty soon they’ll be talking about it on Oprah and then it is on.
That’s Nash as in Steve Nash, still an elite point guard long after most his age have retired and are watching NBA games with a bag of Doritos on their lap. Cool ranch Doritos, for the record, those are the best.
But Nash would not know that. His “diet” is really more of a philosophy, a way of eating that is good for his body and good for the planet. Part of it is actually making sure he gets plenty of sleep. But the rest is cutting out the processed foods and…
Why should I explain it when Nash himself did on his Facebook page?
Fortunately, for me I’ve always loved fruits and vegetables. Actually, I’ve always liked everything and could at least cut out the bad stuff and resort to things I loved: fruits, vegetables and grilled fish and chicken. I used to eat Lots of pasta and rice but now I only eat brown rice or pasta made from a natural food source on occasion. Basically what I’ve tried to do is cut out all the bad sugars, fats and processed foods from my diet.
I believe that eating six smaller meals a day is more healthful than eating three larger meals a day but that can be difficult with our schedule. So much of our time is spent training, playing, traveling and sleeping that I just do what I can…
Breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day…. along with lunch and dinner. I feel if your diet is consistent and well balanced (think long term rather than short term) it isn’t so important what you eat right before you play or the night before because your energy levels and recovery will be on target from the quality of your previous three to seven days of meals.
-Gluten and wheat free cereal, sliced almonds and almond or rice milk. (If you don’t have the sensitivities I have look for a high fiber cereal. At least 4 grams of fiber.) I will also have a whole fruit smoothie or an apple, banana or orange. Green tea.
Lunch. A salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetables, raw nuts and dried fruit. I will also have fruit afterwards.
Dinner. Grilled or baked fish or chicken with vegetables. Sometimes I’ll have brown rice.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP