Sep 17, 2010, 8:37 AM EDT
It’s the latest diet craze — Shaquille O’Neal has said he is on “the Nash diet.” Jared Dudley has asked about it. Bloggers are trying it. Pretty soon they’ll be talking about it on Oprah and then it is on.
That’s Nash as in Steve Nash, still an elite point guard long after most his age have retired and are watching NBA games with a bag of Doritos on their lap. Cool ranch Doritos, for the record, those are the best.
But Nash would not know that. His “diet” is really more of a philosophy, a way of eating that is good for his body and good for the planet. Part of it is actually making sure he gets plenty of sleep. But the rest is cutting out the processed foods and…
Why should I explain it when Nash himself did on his Facebook page?
Fortunately, for me I’ve always loved fruits and vegetables. Actually, I’ve always liked everything and could at least cut out the bad stuff and resort to things I loved: fruits, vegetables and grilled fish and chicken. I used to eat Lots of pasta and rice but now I only eat brown rice or pasta made from a natural food source on occasion. Basically what I’ve tried to do is cut out all the bad sugars, fats and processed foods from my diet.
I believe that eating six smaller meals a day is more healthful than eating three larger meals a day but that can be difficult with our schedule. So much of our time is spent training, playing, traveling and sleeping that I just do what I can…
Breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day…. along with lunch and dinner. I feel if your diet is consistent and well balanced (think long term rather than short term) it isn’t so important what you eat right before you play or the night before because your energy levels and recovery will be on target from the quality of your previous three to seven days of meals.
-Gluten and wheat free cereal, sliced almonds and almond or rice milk. (If you don’t have the sensitivities I have look for a high fiber cereal. At least 4 grams of fiber.) I will also have a whole fruit smoothie or an apple, banana or orange. Green tea.
Lunch. A salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetables, raw nuts and dried fruit. I will also have fruit afterwards.
Dinner. Grilled or baked fish or chicken with vegetables. Sometimes I’ll have brown rice.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4