Sep 17, 2010, 8:37 AM EDT
It’s the latest diet craze — Shaquille O’Neal has said he is on “the Nash diet.” Jared Dudley has asked about it. Bloggers are trying it. Pretty soon they’ll be talking about it on Oprah and then it is on.
That’s Nash as in Steve Nash, still an elite point guard long after most his age have retired and are watching NBA games with a bag of Doritos on their lap. Cool ranch Doritos, for the record, those are the best.
But Nash would not know that. His “diet” is really more of a philosophy, a way of eating that is good for his body and good for the planet. Part of it is actually making sure he gets plenty of sleep. But the rest is cutting out the processed foods and…
Why should I explain it when Nash himself did on his Facebook page?
Fortunately, for me I’ve always loved fruits and vegetables. Actually, I’ve always liked everything and could at least cut out the bad stuff and resort to things I loved: fruits, vegetables and grilled fish and chicken. I used to eat Lots of pasta and rice but now I only eat brown rice or pasta made from a natural food source on occasion. Basically what I’ve tried to do is cut out all the bad sugars, fats and processed foods from my diet.
I believe that eating six smaller meals a day is more healthful than eating three larger meals a day but that can be difficult with our schedule. So much of our time is spent training, playing, traveling and sleeping that I just do what I can…
Breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day…. along with lunch and dinner. I feel if your diet is consistent and well balanced (think long term rather than short term) it isn’t so important what you eat right before you play or the night before because your energy levels and recovery will be on target from the quality of your previous three to seven days of meals.
-Gluten and wheat free cereal, sliced almonds and almond or rice milk. (If you don’t have the sensitivities I have look for a high fiber cereal. At least 4 grams of fiber.) I will also have a whole fruit smoothie or an apple, banana or orange. Green tea.
Lunch. A salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetables, raw nuts and dried fruit. I will also have fruit afterwards.
Dinner. Grilled or baked fish or chicken with vegetables. Sometimes I’ll have brown rice.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6