Sep 17, 2010, 8:37 AM EST
It’s the latest diet craze — Shaquille O’Neal has said he is on “the Nash diet.” Jared Dudley has asked about it. Bloggers are trying it. Pretty soon they’ll be talking about it on Oprah and then it is on.
That’s Nash as in Steve Nash, still an elite point guard long after most his age have retired and are watching NBA games with a bag of Doritos on their lap. Cool ranch Doritos, for the record, those are the best.
But Nash would not know that. His “diet” is really more of a philosophy, a way of eating that is good for his body and good for the planet. Part of it is actually making sure he gets plenty of sleep. But the rest is cutting out the processed foods and…
Why should I explain it when Nash himself did on his Facebook page?
Fortunately, for me I’ve always loved fruits and vegetables. Actually, I’ve always liked everything and could at least cut out the bad stuff and resort to things I loved: fruits, vegetables and grilled fish and chicken. I used to eat Lots of pasta and rice but now I only eat brown rice or pasta made from a natural food source on occasion. Basically what I’ve tried to do is cut out all the bad sugars, fats and processed foods from my diet.
I believe that eating six smaller meals a day is more healthful than eating three larger meals a day but that can be difficult with our schedule. So much of our time is spent training, playing, traveling and sleeping that I just do what I can…
Breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day…. along with lunch and dinner. I feel if your diet is consistent and well balanced (think long term rather than short term) it isn’t so important what you eat right before you play or the night before because your energy levels and recovery will be on target from the quality of your previous three to seven days of meals.
-Gluten and wheat free cereal, sliced almonds and almond or rice milk. (If you don’t have the sensitivities I have look for a high fiber cereal. At least 4 grams of fiber.) I will also have a whole fruit smoothie or an apple, banana or orange. Green tea.
Lunch. A salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetables, raw nuts and dried fruit. I will also have fruit afterwards.
Dinner. Grilled or baked fish or chicken with vegetables. Sometimes I’ll have brown rice.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 19
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8