Sep 17, 2010, 4:07 PM EST
UPDATE 9/17 4:07 pm: Or not. I mean who wants to go to camp in Utah anyway?
According to his agent Mark Bartelstein, Scheyer will not be attending the Jazz’s training camp (according to the twitter account of Jazz beat writer Brian Smith). The Jazz have offered and it made sense to think he would accept, but Bartelstein is a smart cookie so there must be a good reason. What Scheyer will do is not known.
9/16, 3:20 pm: Jon Scheyer is one of those guys with a good game for college. Sweet shooting stroke with the spot-up jumper, was pretty efficient everywhere else and helped lead Duke to a national title. Dukies love him.
But NBA scouts were not impressed. Not athletic enough, can’t defend at that level. He can shoot but was considered one dimensional. He went undrafted.
But the Utah Jazz are giving him a shot — they have invited the guard to camp, according to the wise men at Sham Sports.
On one hand, the Jazz actually have some open roster spots if they want to carry more people. So there is that.
The problem is, let’s look at the guard rotation in Utah: Deron Williams, Ronnie Price and Sundiata Gaines all at the point; with Raja Bell, C.J. Miles and Othyus Jeffers at the two. That’s six guards deep.
Not sure how Scheyer cracks that group. Or why Utah keeps a seventh guard. He’s probably just camp fodder. But he is getting a shot.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 36
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 37
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10