Sep 17, 2010, 4:07 PM EST
UPDATE 9/17 4:07 pm: Or not. I mean who wants to go to camp in Utah anyway?
According to his agent Mark Bartelstein, Scheyer will not be attending the Jazz’s training camp (according to the twitter account of Jazz beat writer Brian Smith). The Jazz have offered and it made sense to think he would accept, but Bartelstein is a smart cookie so there must be a good reason. What Scheyer will do is not known.
9/16, 3:20 pm: Jon Scheyer is one of those guys with a good game for college. Sweet shooting stroke with the spot-up jumper, was pretty efficient everywhere else and helped lead Duke to a national title. Dukies love him.
But NBA scouts were not impressed. Not athletic enough, can’t defend at that level. He can shoot but was considered one dimensional. He went undrafted.
But the Utah Jazz are giving him a shot — they have invited the guard to camp, according to the wise men at Sham Sports.
On one hand, the Jazz actually have some open roster spots if they want to carry more people. So there is that.
The problem is, let’s look at the guard rotation in Utah: Deron Williams, Ronnie Price and Sundiata Gaines all at the point; with Raja Bell, C.J. Miles and Othyus Jeffers at the two. That’s six guards deep.
Not sure how Scheyer cracks that group. Or why Utah keeps a seventh guard. He’s probably just camp fodder. But he is getting a shot.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6