Sep 16, 2010, 10:02 AM EST
Brian Cardinal — the 10-year NBA veteran who played in just 29 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves last season — is being eyed by the Dallas Mavericks to fill the Tim Thomas slot.
Bobby Simmons and Steve Novak are in the running, but Cardinal is the front runner, according to Art Garcia at NBA.com. Dallas expected to have Tim Thomas as a forward deep off the bench, but he has decided to stay home and tend to his family and ailing wife.
Cardinal is coming off an oversized contract (given him by the Grizzlies) and has never been a show stopper — not even at Purdue — but he has NBA experience, a good shooting range and a good work ethic. He should fit in with the Dallas locker room, if they go that direction. He could provide a little depth behind Dirk Nowitzki.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 11
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7