Sep 16, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Brian Cardinal — the 10-year NBA veteran who played in just 29 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves last season — is being eyed by the Dallas Mavericks to fill the Tim Thomas slot.
Bobby Simmons and Steve Novak are in the running, but Cardinal is the front runner, according to Art Garcia at NBA.com. Dallas expected to have Tim Thomas as a forward deep off the bench, but he has decided to stay home and tend to his family and ailing wife.
Cardinal is coming off an oversized contract (given him by the Grizzlies) and has never been a show stopper — not even at Purdue — but he has NBA experience, a good shooting range and a good work ethic. He should fit in with the Dallas locker room, if they go that direction. He could provide a little depth behind Dirk Nowitzki.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38