Sep 16, 2010, 4:49 PM EDT
For all the times the “it’s not my joint, I’m holding it for a friend” excuse has been used, it had to be true once.
Marijuana charges against the Heat’s Udonis Haslem have been dropped, as reported by Ira Winderman at the South Florida Sun Sentinel. The Miami Dade County prosecutors dropped the charges because they could not prove possession.
Haslem was pulled over last month in the Miami area for illegal window tint, but the officer smelled marijuana when he approached the vehicle. After searching the car, Haslem and his passenger were charged with possession of marijuana, along with the window-tint charge and speeding.
At the time Haslem’s attorney Eric Schwartzreich said the charges would not stick, that there was no way to prove possession.
A passenger in the vehicle, Antwain Fleming, who acknowledged in the police report that luggage containing the marijuana was his, was charged with misdemeanor possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana.
“They sent the container out for his prints, to see if Haslem’s prints were on the container, they’re not,” Schwartzreich said Thursday, when the print analysis was completed. “They’ve got another guy claiming all the marijuana is mine in the beginning and Udonis’ prints are not on the container.”
And there you have it.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10