Sep 16, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
The weeks before training camp is the time for unbridled optimism. For belief in yourself and your team. Before the reality of practices and games start to weigh everybody down.
New Wizards center Hilton Armstrong is feeling especially optimistic, as he told the Washington Examiner (via SLAM).
“Every season I started, I was in New Orleans, and I had to play backup behind Tyson [Chandler] and whoever else was there,” said Armstrong. “But this year, I’m just coming in and playing hard, and right now, I feel like it’s an open spot for the starting spot. I’m just going to play as hard as I can to get the spot, but even I don’t, I’m still going to play as hard as I can to help the team out, get some wins and try to get to the playoffs.”
It’s the attitude you want from your guys. That they are going to bust it, that they can do it.
We won’t tell Hilton about how Andray Blatche ended last season and has even more potential than Armstrong. Or how JaVale McGee and new face-of-the-Wizards John Wall really seemed to connect during Summer League (and how McGee was a late cut from USA Basketball).
Now is the time for Hilton to believe that his NBA career is ready take off. Now is not the time for reality.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1