Sep 16, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Last season, Andre Iguodala took as many three-point shots a game (3.7 on average) as he did shots at the rim (3.9). The Princeton offense had him floating around on the perimeter and creating a lot of his own shots.
Anyone who watched Team USA this summer knows that when he attacks the rim, Iggy is a beast. Frankly, anybody that has watched him play ever knows that. My mom knows that. But just for some further evidence, last season Iguodala shot 30.9 percent from three and 68.5 percent at the rim.
So new Sixers coach Doug Collins had this novel idea. Iguodala explained it to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s online blog.
“I think Coach [Collins] is going to be able to do the job of putting me in a position to attack more, where I won’t have to exert energy on the perimeter,” Iguodala said. “Last year our offense had me outside the perimeter. I shot a lot of threes, but it wasn’t my intention to do that. I’m going to attack the rim more this season.”
That’s so crazy it just might work.
The goal is to get Iguodala moving toward the rim. Last season on isolation plays Iggy shot 35 percent and created 0.78 points per possession. But when he was cutting to the rim it was 83 percent and 1.41 per possession. In transition it was 69 percent, off offensive rebounds it was 63 percent.
The Sixers have Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner to create shots. They have a team of athletes that can run. They have Thaddeus Young. The Sixers should be more dynamic than they are.
Collins gets that, you can bet the offense will try to take advantage of these athletes. Which is a good thing, because it’s far more fun to watch Iguodala go to the rack than float around the arc.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4