Sep 15, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
The Heat were expected to swoop in and grab Erick Dampier fresh off the waiver wire to bolster their weak center rotation. After all, how many teams can use a veteran center with possible injury issues who can’t really jump at this point?
Daryl Morey’s got a suggestion for you.
The Houston Chronicle reports that the Rockets have extended a two-year, $4 million contract offer to Dampier, well above the minimum contract he’d be receiving from the Heat, who at this point have to stuff contract money in the pillow sheets. Morey wouldn’t confirm the report, but did say the team was looking to add players. Dampier can mull it over and decide if he likes Houston’s situation more than his other offers.
Funny story, if the Rockets do add Dampier, here’s a list of frontcourt players they’ll be employing next season: Chuck Hayes, Jordan Hill, Brad Miller, the New Hampshire Symphony Orchestra, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries, the cast of popular television show “Glee,” Mike Harris, Alexander Johnson, Luis Scola, former ABA star Bob Netolicky, Patrick Patterson, Brad Miller, Yao Ming, and Erick Dampier.
Miller was added to provide a big body behind Yao Ming’s frail feet, but his rebounding numbers have plummeted so significantly, Dampier actually looks like a fit. With the Rockets trading David Anderson, they need size. It’s another indication of the recurring theme throughout the Western Conference: “The best way to combat the Lakers isn’t through talent, it’s through size.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11