Sep 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Erick Dampier will be a free agent, so he told the Miami Herald what he is required to say as a free agent — it’s about winning. Where the big, serviceable center and new best free agent on the market lands will be about chasing a ring.
So the Wolves are out — they admitted as much — but Chicago, Denver and Miami are in. Of course Miami is in the mix.
Dampier, 35, told The Miami Herald on Tuesday that he does not yet have a clear preference, but said he was impressed with the Heat’s off-season moves to re-sign Dwyane Wade and add LeBron James and Chris Bosh.
“They have some good, young talent down there and can do a lot of big things,” Dampier said. “Obviously, I want to be in a situation to compete for a championship. I haven’t talked to my agent yet, so we’ll go from there. But I’ve kept myself in good shape for 14 years, and still feel like I can play the game at a high level.”
Of course, there’s that money thing.
The Heat can only offer a veteran’s minimum deal of $1.4 million this season, which is a few bucks less than the $13 million deal he just got waived from by the Bobcats. So, you know, he may be looking for some dollars, too. And there are teams under the cap still that could offer more to Dampier.
But we’re sure it’s just about the ring, not the money. Because what free agent chooses money over winning? I mean, that would be unheard of.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 2
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10